1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I don't know what is wrong with my chicken.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hollyschooks, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Hollyschooks

Hollyschooks New Egg

Feb 5, 2007
    Tannum Sands, Australia
    One of my chooks has been sitting on the roost all day, it has never done this before. Does this mean there is something wrong? I have 3 Rhode Island Reds, I usually only get 2 eggs a day, but I don't know which one is not laying. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks;)

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Sorry not much advice, is it eating, and getting enough fluid? And if you want to see whose laying eggs or who isn't put them in seprate pens, for a few day to a week that should shed alittle light on that question. Did you have a sudden change in weather?

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Are we thinking egg bound... again I draw on parrot experience when I dont know if it is the same with chickens, do they get eggbound, am I barking up the wrong tree?
    does your chicken have a bulge in her bum?

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Yes Barg. Chickens can get eggbound just like parrots. Only thing is parrots seem to come through it better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by