I don't know what to do

Louise adele23

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2018
Recently my family and I adopted a resuce chook when we tried to introduce her to our flock everything was going OK we separated her for a week but still aloud the others to see her once we let her out all of our chooks attacked her we left her thinking they were establishing the pecking order until they cornered her and took out a large chunk of her comb now she is terrified of all the chooks we really don't know what to do cause she is an absolute sweetheart and loves us but shakes and cry's out whenever another chook comes near I'd someone could tell us what to do it'll be very much appreciated it may be important to know that she is missing the front of her beak because of the situation we rescued her from

This is a really tough one. Sadly you tried introduction far too soon in a special situation.

A rescue bird generally has compromised health which will immediately target them for attack by the flock due to flock dynamics of self preservation.

She also has an odd appearance which can also trigger hazing.

Then she is docile and single.

Add all those things up, and you have the formula for a gang attack by a flock that is generally not overly docile.

My suggestion, since she is now terrified is to find a very, very docile flock mate. If you have one in the flock, that may work. However, she has been traumatized by them, so a new face may help.

Perhaps get a smaller pullet that is younger or smaller than her. Something very sweet like a Favorelle or Bantam Cochin. Ideally something 10 to 12 weeks that is a bit insecure too and needs bonding. Hopefully they will bond together and help both gain confidence.

That means they will need to be totally separate with only fence view of the full flock. You may even need to keep them both out of sight of the flock for the sake of the rescue gal until she gains more confidence.

Also thoroughly look her health over. She will not be able to fend for herself if she is not optimum, and she will definitely trigger attack if not fully healthy.

My thoughts.

LofMc

Last edited:
...and I should add....only after she has safely and securely integrated with her flock friend should you attempt to try integration again...and that may not be for weeks if not months.

Ideally getting a friend that will grow enough to help protect her might help, or the friend will simply outgrow her and attack her too.

You may need to always separate her. I have had to do that with my Silkies from the main flock. They simply look too odd, are too slow, and too low to the ground to stand up for themselves.

It means a second coop however :D (Not to enable or anything).

LofMc

...and one final thought...you of course know the health risk you take with accepting rescue birds (and any adult bird brought in) to the rest of your flock. Your isolation with fence was not secure health isolation for the main flock members.

For proper health isolation, generally 4 weeks is recommended (2 weeks minimum) and out of sight, out of contact, out of wind, and change of at least coat and boots always keeping the rescue bird the last on your schedule with dedicated feeders and caretaker clothing.

That will prevent transmission of most bacterial and parasites, however viral needs nearly a hazmat situation with bubble tent.

There are varying philosophies about quarantine. Some follow it strictly. Others more loosely. Some feel their birds simply need to build resistance and if they succumb to something, they build from the survivors.

But it is important to understand the risk in case you bring in something like Newcastle, Infectious Bronchitis, or Marek's.

Good luck with the flock and your new rescue and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom