I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hennyhandler, May 28, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have just put my ducks in their pen today. [​IMG] They have stayed in the water the whole time. I know this is normal but now it is dark and I went out there and made sure to show them the feed because I was afraid they didn't know where it was since when I hand fed them some they ate a whole lot. When I moved them over to it they ate a whole lot and their water turned foggy from the feed which it wasn't before and then I put them into the dog house but they came back out and made their way back in the water. One though had to walk the edge for a minute to, I suppose, a particular rock.
    I went back out again and they were still in the water and it worries me that maybe they can't get out, only in. SO I put them back out thinking now that it was pitch black they might want to lay down on the towel they had in the brooder but yet again no. This time they just stood out preening. They didn't get back in the water or anything. I know that ducks don't go to "bed" the way chickens do but I worry since the area is new to them that they may not be familiar to them enough to go where they want or need to go to. [​IMG]

I know. I am a worrywart. But... I can't really help it [​IMG] so if anyone can give me some personal experience or opinions I would appreciate it.

2. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    How old? Are we talking ducklings? Do they normally get in and out on there own? I've had a couple of ducklings drown (who I thought had been in and out of their 'pond' on their own) so I do worry as well. But if it's adult ducks, and they are normally in and out, is it just because Summer is approaching and the temps are warmer?

If it's a new 'water' source that they aren't that familiar with, maybe you should empty it for the night and refill tomorrow and watch how they do.

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I put a flat rock in my ducks water pan and one outside as a step so they could get out, Eventually they could do it without the rock....

4. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have rocks all on the outside and two on the outside. This morning they were still in the water but I pulled them out and they ate and slipped back inside. Just now when I got home and checked on them they were out of the water and about five minutes later when I walked back around they were back in the water. I actually reached for one of them and he hopped out and slid back in so I assume they just LOVE LOVE LOVE water. I don't think they have been in the doghouse unless I go stick them in there and then they simply stand there and then walk back out.

5. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    my ducks will sometimes sleep on the water... well, i'm not actually usre they sleep... i think they may be evil incarnate and never sleep because they sure quack quack quack all night....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by