I don't know where to post this but this forum is as close as I can figure.

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
Let me start with something that will sound odd to you. I have quit going into my kitchen because my family won't clean up after themselves. It has been several years since I cooked more than an occasional meal. Everyone in my family has gone in there and rearranged things to suit themselves. Hopefully, in a couple more years all the children and grandchildren we are raising will be out of the house and I can put things back the way I want them.

So, the thing is my family brings eggs in and they will either get left on the counter where they are not seen because of the mess on the counters or they will be left in a bucket or bowl of water in the sink and are missed also because of the mess. Someone puts them in water to test them and just leaves them. One time a bucket of duck eggs came in and they sat in water for who knows how long. My question is this: Can eggs get water logged? I dumped the water out and left them sit to dry out but since I don't go into the kitchen often, I didn't remember to go back and put them in the fridge. I don't know how long they have sat out but I put them back in water to see if they floated, they don't. I don't know how to tell if they are good or not now.

Thanks, Sylvia

You can always do the float test. Put an egg in a glass of cool water. If it sinks, it's OK. If it floats, toss it.

Sylvia: Personally, I wouldn't eat an egg that has been left sitting in water. Presumeably they have been put in water because they needed to be washed. The bacteria will breed in the water, essentially creating a bacteria soup that can enter the eggs through the pores.

I'm sorry you have to share your home with such slobs. If it is your home, you do have the right to set down some guide lines for behavior and expectations. You can't be a door mat unless you allow yourself to be. Of course, it's easier done than said, and I understand where you're coming from, as I'm raising 2 grand children, and sometimes the battle is so much harder than doing it yourself. But, I've found that when I lay down the law and insist that the whole family work on cleaning the house, the loudest complainer eventually gets over his hissy fit, and actually is proud of his accomplishment.

Sylvia: Personally, I wouldn't eat an egg that has been left sitting in water. Presumeably they have been put in water because they needed to be washed. The bacteria will breed in the water, essentially creating a bacteria soup that can enter the eggs through the pores.

I'm sorry you have to share your home with such slobs. If it is your home, you do have the right to set down some guide lines for behavior and expectations. You can't be a door mat unless you allow yourself to be. Of course, it's easier done than said, and I understand where you're coming from, as I'm raising 2 grand children, and sometimes the battle is so much harder than doing it yourself. But, I've found that when I lay down the law and insist that the whole family work on cleaning the house, the loudest complainer eventually gets over his hissy fit, and actually is proud of his accomplishment.
Thank you. I think I will throw them out just incase. I don't see how the bacteria could get through the shell but better safe than sorry. After all, it's not as if I have a lack of eggs right now. LOL Spring seems to have urged my hens that should have started laying last October to ALL start laying. I just wish some of them were broody. I love going outside and having them all come to greet me like they missed me. LOL I know that it's only because they want some food but it still feels good.

It is my home and I have chosen to just draw away from the battles. It seems I have been fighting battles with children all my adult life and I am beyond tired of it. At the end of the next school year our 2nd oldest granddaughter will be 18 and hopefully off to college. At that time I will have raised 8 children from birth to 18 in a little over 41 years and there have been many other family members in and out of our home and every bit of it seems like it was a fight to get anything accomplished. I feel like I am just putting in my time now. Can't wait to be free. Sylvia

You can always do the float test. Put an egg in a glass of cool water. If it sinks, it's OK. If it floats, toss it.
The hens kind of lay all over the yard so we always put them in cool water to test them because we might have missed one and I sure wouldn't want to break open one like my sister did and find a half formed chick in it. I really don't think I could eat eggs for a while after that, maybe a good long while. Sylvia

Back
Top Bottom