I don't understand my chickens.

Becky_H

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Somewhere Over The Rainbow.
They range in age from 4 weeks to about 8 months. None of them will take a dust or dirt bath. Instead they wallow on grass. Every. Single. Time. They're happy and having a good time, but.

There's dirt out there, of various kinds. They have access to all of it. They walk otu of it to roll around in the grass. I keep telling them they're not horses, but they aren't having any of it.

The freaks.

lau.gif

I'm sorry that I'm no help, that just struck me a hysterically funny!!

(Of course, if you'd have seen me with my broody lead hen today, you'd understand why I've actually got a sense of humor right now!!)

Maybe they'll grow out of it??
thumbsup.gif

I know, shut up...lol.
duc.gif

Maybe you can show them how to dust bathe, just do what dh did, scratch around in the dirt with a trowel in the dirt, get a nice, loose dirt bath for them to get interested in...(We had lots of worms, bugs, grubs, etc where we started scratching and they REALLY liked that)but even without that, once they take attention to what you're doing, they'll follow along and nature will take over.
Our girls started pecking at the worms, grubs, etc, then realized, "oh there's DIRT here, oh that feels good and cool... oh how about this..." And off they went.
Granted, our girls are probably hatchery and we got them at an adult stage, but they started learning REALLY quickly what a good dust bath felt like and I've never gotten so much enjoyment out of seeing my girls have a good time!!

Back
Top Bottom