I don't wanna order from the big hatcheries!

Hi fellow South Dakotan! I just put an order in for chicks...but it was with a hatchery *ducks* If you would, please let me know if you have any extra BR Turkeys...I want to get some to raise for the holidays, and I hate to order the minimum through some places. I only want around 4.
smile.png

Dawn

I did find a couple of Bourbon Red Breeders. I think I'm going to buy hatching eggs and pick them up myself. Do you want me to let you know when I place my order?

I'll be getting a few from hatcheries also, so I won't be able to avoid them totally...grr! lol! But I'm pretty tickled that I've been able to get some nice eggs to hopefully improve on whatever genetics I might get from the hatcheries. The Doms I got from Welp this fall are an example of why I'm searching...half of them have horribly crooked toes (a few are so bad they're crippled...I'm just trying to make them as comfortable as possible until they reach fryer size), and about a third have such lousy barring that they look more mutt than anything...
barnie.gif

Oh, that's a bummer
sad.png
I suppose it's just a crapshoot, whethere you get decent stock or not. I'm happy with mine so far, but I know very, very little about breed standards right now. I would like to learn someday, but I'm taking it slowly, and enjoying the gals (and guys
smile.png
I have for now. I would love to get my boys into showing/4-H when they are old enough....if they want to, that is
tongue.png

I'd say let me know when you order, but I don't have a 'bator yet...I'm working on it though
big_smile.png

Dawn

In a way, I agree. But, I wonder if sometimes, you start getting a feel for who has what, depending on what kind of breeders they work with. For example, the last time I put in a really big hatchery order was about 4 years ago. I'd ordered from Cackle, and everything was great, except my Buff Orpingtons were a little psychotic. And while I've heard mostly good about Cackle, I've heard a few folks talking about getting nutty BOs from Cackle.
hu.gif

Isn't that strange? I'm wanting to get some Sebastopol geese-first time goose owner, and I just fell in love with them; plus they say they are pretty calm/friendly. I think I'm going to go with a breeder vs. a hatchery with them, just to be safe...especially at $45 a gosling! Eek! Now to *find* someone that actually has some nice ones available
tongue.png

Dawn

I don't know whether you've thought of this or not, but don't you have chain farm supply stores where you're at? I checked with the manager at our local Atwoods store and she told me they will have all types of baby poultry come spring...chicks, ducklings, keets, goslings, etc. I know you don't have Atwoods (I checked for you) or Tractor Supply (ditto) but something similiar perhaps?

That's how it's going to be possible for me to get a few ducklings. They (Atwoods) will be getting their poultry from one of the large hatcheries. I just love that store, it's my new shopping mall!

Just FYI:

According to the e-mail I got from them yesterday, Ideal started taking orders for poultry today, January 10th. For delivery when available, late February to March.
I'm planning on ordering very soon to ensure I get exactly what I want.
Also, some of the hatcheries say that they will not put extra roos in the order if you request. You'll just have to pay extra shipping insurance instead. I still wouldn't order 'just a few' though.

We do not have an Atwoods around here, but we do have little co-op's in some counties near by. Our TSC quit carrying ANY birds 2 years ago and when I asked why, they said because of the bird flu!! There are a couple of farm and ranch stores here too, one of which we will be supplying 1000 chicks to this Spring.

We have plenty of farm/ranch supply stores that offer chicks and ducklings, but they are all ordered from hatcheries. Again, I'm really hoping to avoid having to depend on hatcheries exclusively. I know I will have to order chicks of the varieties I'm after, but at the very least, I'd like to have breeder/fancier stock to help improve on what I'll be getting from the hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom