I don't want a christmas tree this year

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Nov 4, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I didn't want one last year either, but was finally talked into a tiny, tabletop one.
    I have a beautiful 7 ft. tree out in the storage building, complete with some awesome purple and silver decorations.
    Our house is very small. It's bursting at the seams with my DH's stuff, my stuff, and his (deceased) family's stuff. DH is a pack rat, I'm a minimalist. We finally got around to replacing the old rocking chair that I always sit in last week. Now DH wants to keep the old chair. It belonged to his brother.
    We have two cats and an active puppy on top of all this STUFF!
    DH is working christmas day. His girls and the GS will be coming down for a quick visit at some point during the holidays, but not on christmas day. We don't have a spare bedroom (it's now our office), so that means an air mattress in the living room.
    Thinking about doing my infamous christmas tree on a wall or no tree at all.
    Anyone else not doing a christmas tree this year?

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Hey Gritsar [​IMG]

We will have a tree but we still have young ones at home. My Dad doesnt do a tree and even tho' it kills me, I never bug him about it. [​IMG]

Its your choice and if you dont want the hassle then that okay. Dont let anyone guilt you into it.

JMHO

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:When we lived in a tiny apartment, we bought one of those potted live trees (they're 9 inches-1ft tall) that way after christmas we could plant it. How about that for a compromise?

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    No christmas tree here. I have the same problem as you, no space & too much junk! (boyfriend is a packrat... [​IMG] )

5. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    If I were short of space, I would personally just forego all other decorations because I couldn't bear not to have a tree. I do understand about space though. My dad is trying to sell his house (his Dad built it in 47 so there's ALOT of accumulation) so he brings us all us his stuff....thanks Dad.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

We have not done a tree in years - course we have no kids. Besides the large dogs in the house (2 mastiffs, 1 Border Collie and 1 Blue Heeler) we have flighted parrots. I am not chasing an excited ornament carrying Cockatoo or African Grey around the house!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

When I had my cat DC (her name stood for demon child, NOT what everyone thought it stood for), I did the christmas tree on the wall. Bought an inexpensive tree and cut it in half. Worked great as DC hadn't learned how to climb walls back then. Then one day the cord for the lights dangled. DC grabbed it and ran. End of story. [​IMG]

DH wants to re-arrange the living room this weekend. No matter how we arrange it, he just can't see that it's too much STUFF! I would dearly love to do away with the 6 ft. long table he made in woodshop in high school. Dang thing reaches out and "bites" me if I go anywhere near it. [​IMG]

Maybe I'll spring the idea of no christmas tree on him then. I already found a wall that the wall tree could go on. Maybe if I keep the cats buzzed out on catnip all thru the holidays, they'll be too lazy to bother with it. [​IMG]

8. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Heck no, there is no reason why someone "has to" have a christmas tree, yeah they are fun to decorate, but so are a bunch of other stuff. I love the idea of a "wall tree", sounds like agreat opportunity to get artsy!

9. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Go for the wall tree... it's kind of a compromise between having a tree and needing the space.

My mom has two wall trees, she bought them at the local Christmas store the day after Christmas, she got smaller ones,
    about 3 feet tall and she hangs her "special" ornaments on them, I think one is her snowbabies collection and the other is
    her hummel ornaments. They are beautiful, came pre-lit too. She's had them about 8 years now I think.

I found this one online... my mom's don't have a basket and arent as full but these are nice too!

http://www.bronners.com/1099119.html

Here's one that is a half tree that sits on the ground but takes up less space.

http://www.bronners.com/1130523.html

You might just want to invest in one as it sounds like this may be a debate every year.

Good luck!

Nancy

10. below_gravity

below_gravity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Jutland, New Jersey
    We dont do a tree. Its just the two of us and the house is under construction (what feels like permanently). If you dont want one, then dont get one. I find that the amount of Christmas decorations some people put up are absolutely rediculous (thats my opinion, sorry if I offend anyone). The holidays are about family and caring (and religion for many) not presents and decorations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by