"I don't want ducks." The story of Henry

Jun 29, 2022
Delaware
Ducks are messy.

Ducks are muddy.

Ducks will throw all their water from the dish in ten seconds flat and then yell at you like you haven't given them water for days.

The biggest lesson I've learned though?

Ducks are amazing.

Henry was a 2x "leftover" we were given for free from tractor supply with the purchase of his remaining broodmate Boots. He was a week or two older than boots, massive in comparison size wise, a leftover from two batches back of Khaki Campbell's.

I didn't want ducks.
They ruin the brooder.
They ruin the water.
They dig holes in the lawn.
They poop EVERYWHERE.

My oldest begged, "Just one? One will be fine it won't be too messy."

I watched the two balls of brown fluff stumble clumsily over the wood chips scattered along the bottom of the metal tub, one duckling much larger than the other.

"Fine. If it starts tearing all my grass up though it's coming to live with you."

The tractor supply staff slipped Henry in with the little duck my daughter picked out, explaining that they needed a companion, and Henry had to go anyway so freebie bonus duck.

Henry did everything gross imaginable and more. No one told me the worst thing about ducks though, which is just how easily they'll steal your heart.

I absolutely adore that clumsy, messy little derp.

Henry would scream when I pet him, picked him up, or looked at him funny. Boots was only a day or two old, she didn't have any issues warming up to people.

I seriously thought we'd never be friends.

Mealworms and cucumbers, patience and consistency and much reading and rereading of Tyrant Farms advice, and I can happily say Henry is probably as fond of me now as I am of him.

I've come to understand his mannerisms and noises some. Henry's primary mode of operation tends to be excited, tail wags and a flurry of happy noise. He warns of overhead predators, loves getting his sides scratched, and is nothing like any other bird I've ever known.

I'm not even sure if he's actually a "He" yet, my oldest son named him and it just stuck.

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_133851864_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220702_133851864_HDR.jpg
    907.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220703_140912385_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220703_140912385_HDR~2.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220702_133849052_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220702_133849052_HDR.jpg
    852.2 KB · Views: 16
Ducks are messy.

Ducks are muddy.

Ducks will throw all their water from the dish in ten seconds flat and then yell at you like you haven't given them water for days.

Ducks are amazing.

Henry was a 2x "leftover" we were given for free from tractor supply with the purchase of his remaining broodmate Boots. He was a week or two older than boots, massive in comparison size wise, a leftover from two batches back of Khaki Campbell's.

I didn't want ducks.
They ruin the brooder.
They ruin the water.
They poop EVERYWHERE.

I watched the two balls of brown fluff stumble clumsily over the wood chips scattered along the bottom of the metal tub, one duckling much larger than the other.

"Fine. If it starts tearing all my grass up though it's coming to live with you."

The tractor supply staff slipped Henry in with the little duck my daughter picked out, explaining that they needed a companion, and Henry had to go anyway so freebie bonus duck.

Henry did everything gross imaginable and more. No one told me the worst thing about ducks though, which is just how easily they'll steal your heart.

Henry would scream when I pet him, picked him up, or looked at him funny. Boots was only a day or two old, she didn't have any issues warming up to people.

Mealworms and cucumbers, patience and consistency and much reading and rereading of Tyrant Farms advice, and I can happily say Henry is probably as fond of me now as I am of him.

I've come to understand his mannerisms and noises some. Henry's primary mode of operation tends to be excited, tail wags and a flurry of happy noise. He warns of overhead predators, loves getting his sides scratched, and is nothing like any other bird I've ever known.

I'm not even sure if he's actually a "He" yet, my oldest son named him and it just stuck.
and now how many ducks do you have?? XD

and now how many ducks do you have?? XD
Hahaha, how did you know?!

We now have eight ducks.

The OG KCs Henry and Boots (both female btw) Three Cayugas - Bloop, Boop and Blue (whom I'm pretty sure is male as he sounds like a raspy, broken kazoo) and three Pekins - Gerald, Harold and Wonky, they still make baby duck noises, I hear an occasional quack at night, but I'm not sure who's doing it yet.

The Pekins live inside my house at night in a large tub, I will probably invest in duck diapers for them. I'm pretty sure I've lost my mind. 🤣

We brooded the other ducks with groups of biddies, too many to keep in the house (they were all in the barn from the get go) the pekins were the first ducks raised without any, I was able to spend a lot of quality time with them, and I'm terribly, terribly attached.

IMG_20220817_082613249.jpg
IMG_20220909_060528470.jpg

Hahaha, how did you know?!

We now have eight ducks.

The OG KCs Henry and Boots (both female btw) Three Cayugas - Bloop, Boop and Blue (whom I'm pretty sure is male as he sounds like a raspy, broken kazoo) and three Pekins - Gerald, Harold and Wonky, they still make baby duck noises, I hear an occasional quack at night, but I'm not sure who's doing it yet.

The Pekins live inside my house at night in a large tub, I will probably invest in duck diapers for them. I'm pretty sure I've lost my mind. 🤣

We brooded the other ducks with groups of biddies, too many to keep in the house (they were all in the barn from the get go) the pekins were the first ducks raised without any, I was able to spend a lot of quality time with them, and I'm terribly, terribly attached.

View attachment 3255458View attachment 3255465
Ducks happen XD that's how I knew. Animal lovers can't help but to want more animals, and with birds, it's easier and legal to keep many of them. More so then dogs, wich most towns have tighter restrictions on. Such as my town, wich only allows three dogs, but limits fowl to however many your land can sustain.

Your flock multiplied just like mine, wich gre from just three pekins years ago to four pekins, two Cayuga, one Rouen, and a plethora of mixed breeds XD

Ducks are messy.

Ducks are muddy.

Ducks are amazing.

I didn't want ducks.
They ruin the brooder.
They ruin the water.
They poop EVERYWHERE.

This is adorable. You are a great writer. You should try expand and publish this somewhere- love it!

Back
Top Bottom