I don't want your chickens !!!

Free meat though....... Just sayin'.

not worth the risk of loosing my flock to something that meat brought on it, or in it. Would also cost my my NPIP certification till I could schedule a re-inspection.

I have 70+ birds to choose from if I want poultry on the table, and I'm behind on my culling as is...

That is very obnoxious. Good thing you happened to be home to see it. I don't have a huge flock, but so far I haven't had too much trouble selling my extra birds, even the cockerels. It took a while to sell my barnyard mixes, but even they went eventually.

not worth the risk of loosing my flock to something that meat brought on it, or in it. Would also cost my my NPIP certification till I could schedule a re-inspection.

I have 70+ birds to choose from if I want poultry on the table, and I'm behind on my culling as is...
True, it won't work the same for everybody. I don't have a certificate to worry about, or an overflow of meat to process, so I might entertain the idea.

And is the bird big enough to spend time on processing? 😉
I don't do it often enough to get tired of it, so for me personally it would be a fun afternoon activity :D

I have considered offering my services to people looking to get rid of unwanted birds (provided that I keep the meat). Maybe if they let me dispatch them on their property so I don't have to deal with transportation (cages, pooping, etc.... If they're dead they can just be in a bucket). Then I process them in my back yard. If I clean the processing area and wash my clothes and boots, would there be any biosecurity danger to my own birds? They'd be about 100 feet away.

I have all full size hens, swore I would never have a banty.
So on next door neighbor, about 3 1/2 weeks, I see this post that says, someone has a chicken with chicks living in her front garden. She says her nextdoor neighbor says it belongs to her (the neighbor). We have a hurricane (Ida) coming and the *owner* isn't and hasn't been taking care of them. The poster is looking for someone to take them and care for them properly. I posted back and said I would come get them. She wanted to talk to the neighbor first. Next morning, only one chick was still alive, so I went and picked up Mom and chick, told poster to tell neighbor if she didn't like it to contact me and I would report her for neglict!!!
I have not intergrated yet, but will be starting soon. I am so glad these guys did not have to face a predator again and were safe from a major hurricane. They are both cute, chick is feathering out nicely and looks pretty. Prayers it is not a cockerel, please.

Back
Top Bottom