I dropped an egg

Berynn

Cooped Up
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
Last night during candling I dropped an egg, there was blood on the out side of the shell. My daughters boyfriend opened it the rest of the way and there was a baby black chick in it with the yolk sack. today is day 16. He said that it was alive and jerking around. Was there anythink that I could had done, once the shell was cracked?

I don't know what you could do with blood on the outside of the shell, but I do know some people on here have used melted wax to seal up a crack. From what I remember reading, they were just setting the eggs or not very far along with their hatch when they discovered a crack. What a bummer to get that far along and then have that happen! I'm always afraid I will drop an egg while candling, so far so good, but I'm sure at some point, it will happen. Good luck with the rest of the hatch!

nope there was nothing you could have done. if it was a crack in early stage elmers school glue light coating on crack sometimes saves it. put a little piece of tissue paper over just to cover the crack, don't cover the air cell. if it doesn't break the membraine and is clean usuaally they are fine can still develope and hatch. once that membraine is broke unless it's about day 19-21 they usually don't make it.

Nope...too far along .... small cracks in eggs at the beginning of entering the bator are sometimes glued or waxed over by hatchers by its not wise...bacteria can ruin your whole hatch in a cracked egg....

Back
Top Bottom