I fed my chickens cherry pits! Help!

Donnigan

Chirping
Apr 30, 2016
I didn't know they were bad and just fed my chickens a bunch of cherry pits and they ate them will they be okay?

Unless you fed them copious amounts they will be fine...

Thank you sooooo much :) i was so worried! I thought they would pick around the pit but i saw them eating the whole thing at once! They are cherries from my little cherry bush. I gave them a 45 once container for 30 chickens and some were eating them slowly so hopefully they left the pit. Thank you

This container wasn't filled to the top and as you can see there are some left so I'm hoping each chicken didnt get very many!

That is insignificant for 30 chickens... Cherry pits unless cracked or crushed pass through chickens whole, thus they are never exposed to the toxins inside...

I hope they enjoyed those because they are NOT getting more! LOL I hope they plant more cherry bushes! :)

I didn't know they were bad and just fed my chickens a bunch of cherry pits and they ate them will they be okay?
I used to have a great cherry tree in my yard that I cut down and pulled out by its roots because regardless of what I did every year the Mockingbirds, Robbins, and other song birds always got to the cherries before I did. BTW, the birds tha ate my cherries were all much smaller than an adult chicken. After years of futile effort to bake a cherry pie I never once saw a song bird with digestive issues so the stones were either digested or else passed. However over the years I did see hundreds of my cherries go down the birds' hatch, stones and all.

Last edited:
yeah know what you mean those good for nuttin wild bids steal every mulberry and wild cherry
thank goodness my planted stuff is covered.. elderbrries are hard to cover though.
the chickens cry when I pick mt berries. I tried blocking their view. LOL. THey get a few though.....I tried the owls plastic ones .
..huh the wild birds prob laughing. Its not because they are thirsty. cause it has rained a lot till recently. I tell the chickens to jump on top of the truck topper and scare the off.... they just look at me. DUH
also wish they would eat the white and other moths.....

After years of futile effort to bake a cherry pie I never once saw a song bird with digestive issues so the stones were either digested or else passed.

Ironically cherry pits with their stone like design are made to be swallowed and passed, the acids in the birds (or other animals) digestive tract softens the pits shell all the while the bird/animal distributes the seeds to new locations, a win, win for the cherry tree... The toxins are inside the pit, so as long as it's passed whole there is little to no risk, even if one or two crack open thought the risk is low...

Back
Top Bottom