I feel guilty as h***!

hugs.gif
I am so sorry for your lose. I hope you catch the critter that did this. Don't beat yourself up to bad everybody makes mistakes....
hugs.gif

At this time of year you are probably dealing with more than one critter. Mom and dad would be training their young on how to hunt and find food. It seems your house is now at the top of the take-out menu list. Sorry

Rowanm77:

So sad to hear, however as you now realize a defense system has to be better than the threat or they will kill them all.

With each failed post I read, I review my system design in an effort to ensure that my wife's (9)nine precious little chickens remain safe.

As previously stated in another post my first line of defense is (3)three seperate strands of electrified wire strung on the side of my second line of defense which is a two layered 6' metal fence that is 2/3 roof and 1/3 metal fencing. The third line of defense is the elevated coup inside the pen which has a ramp that is raised each night thus closing the only access point.

Also earlier stated only one raccoon has tried the fence, and thus far there has been no sign of diggers or climbers.

Even though we have daily high altitude recon overflights by hawks, thus far only one has attempted an aerial assault.

So far, so good, (Predators 0 - Me 2)

Kentucky

That sucks.

Try using canned sardines in oil.Coons love um.Leave a little outside to get his attention and a little trail to behind the pan.

Might catch some other critters cause they'll all eat the fish,but you can decide what you want to let go.

so sorry-- we have a lost a few ( 2 "special needs" babies, a crested duck, a nice serama teenager,2 ducklings) and haven't found a thing to entice the raider. We have tried marshmallows, fish, canned tuna, a honey bun - was told this was a raccoons fave-a piece of fried chicken, NOTHING has worked- I have only caught ants.SO all doors get locked up- pens with just chicken wire have solar lights shining on them and the trap will be set forever

Im so sorry that you lost so many
sad.png
Dont kick yourself about it..bet most of us have made the same or a similar mistake...predators just wait it out til we mess up sigh.

As for your trap..if youve caught squirrels and chicks your trap may not be big enough. Chicks shouldnt be able to trigger a coon sized havaheart trap. And squirrels would be iffy. Ive found that the best bait for coons is marshmellows.

Chickens are voracious predators in their own right (imagine being a bug in a coop) and are in turn prey to all kinds of things.

These things just happen.

I've left doors open more than once with disastrous results. Most recently I put off patching a hole a squirrel had chewed, and of course one night a mink got in.

Back
Top Bottom