I feel I should share new EZ Plucker; for rent near Chicago maybe?

I would rent it, if I were closer. I would like my own, but I don't do enough birds yet to justify it. But, I have a friend in Valpo I visit frequently....
smile.png

I wouldn't rent it out. If your looking to recoop your money, I would look at the money your going to save processing your own birds, and apply that to the cost of your new investment. If you have a good set-up, I would consider processing peoples birds at your place and charge them accordingly.

My reasoning for not renting it out is you never know what could happen to it. If you have birds to do in two weeks and you rent it out this week and it gets damaged, your going to have to rush to get it fixed so it's ready for your use. If your looking to rent it to someone you know, that may be a different story. If that's the case, personally, I would prefer to have them bring their birds to your place so you can supervise or take your stuff to them and help. I have done this several times for friends. I have had people ask to rent my Whizbang, but I turned them down. Maybe I'm parnoid, but to me it's not worth the risk.

That's my 2 cents worth.

I will talk you OUT of it.

Loaned my car to a friend. She totalled it.

Loaned my carpet steamer to a friend, she cracked the reservoir and I had to order a new one.

Shall I go on?

But you cound offer a 'Processing Day' at your place and charge people a buck or two per bird to use your stuff.

I have had terrible luck "loaning" stuff to people.
But, I'd try to rent a plucker if I had one.
For starters its a specialized piece of equipment. Very few people need or know what it is. They have an interest in renting it again. I'd charged a hefty CASH deposit. Offer free delivery and pickup. You get to meet the whole group and you see their set up/homestead. And you make sure it is clean before you leave.
And anyone who is raisng meat birds for fun and profit is always looking to recoup some costs.

I've been renting mine out since May and I've had no problems except for a faulty switch which appeared to be bad from the factory. I've already recouped 1/2 the cost of the plucker since I started renting it in May. I figure that I'll be able to recoup the entire cost by next summer. At that point, if someone totally trashes it, and I don't see how they can, I can buy a brand new one and be exactly where I was if I didn't rent it out. If it continues to go well, I'll buy a 2nd, larger plucker for the turkey market. I've met some really great people this way and I've offered people an option to trade stuff to lower the cost of the rental. I charge $40 for a rental and I let them keep it for a few days so they are not rushed. I also offer a discount to veterans and seniors. I was a little worried at first but the people I've met have really been great. I wish one had been available to rent before I bought mine but there wasn't one around so I took the leap and got one.

I have contemplated renting my plucker out, but I had concerns similar to those posted here. I like the reasoning that chicken plucking is a specialized activity and that renters would want to stay in your good graces. A friend and I are building another Whizbang plucker today. Is there any better way to spend a Sunday afternoon?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom