I feel like an Idiot!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MIKE555444, Nov 21, 2009.

1. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    My friend has been passing me Golden Comet eggs and I have been getting odd results when they hatch ...like snow white chick with just a speckle of red.

Am I wrong that GC's are sex link??

What would I need to breed to produce GC's?

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Sex-linkage only works for the 1st generation. If you breed a sex-link hen to a sex-link roo, then the chicks will not look the same. That accounts for your results. So, you won't be able to sex the chicks according to color. [​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Mike.....yes, GOlden comets are sort of a "sex link" type. They are bred from a White Leghern rooster, with a RIR hen.

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Golden comets are a sex-link look at the sticky at the top of this section by tadkerson.

GSLs(Golden Comets, Golden Buffs, red sex-links, lots of different names for this cross) are a hybrid sex-link that is produced by crossing a gold colored male (Big Red roosters: RIR, New Hamp.) onto a silver color based hen(White Rock, RIWhite, Delaware, SLWyandotte, some White Leghorns if they are recessive wht.) lots of combos for this type cross.

So the reason you're getting so many different colors from these type egg is because they are a half-breed bird and do not breed back true.

catdaddy

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by