I feel like I ruined him (just venting, I suppose)

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
Hopefully someone here will understand. Nobody else seems to...
sad.png

I gave one of my roosters away a little over a week ago. He was the sweetest, most docile, friendliest guy in my flock, so I figured he'd be fine in his new home. Apparently, tho- my sweet, friendly little roo turned into a psycho, literally overnight, and is only getting worse. The lady just messaged me, asking if I want him back.

I told her to put him in her freezer- its pretty likely he'll just wind up in mine if I go get him, and its not worth the risk of someone getting hurt on the off chance that he'd be fine if he came home. Also, I think she should get at least *something* out of this ordeal, kwim? She did try to help him- and just got attacked by a rooster every day for her trouble.

I feel horrible about the whole thing.

I feel badly for the lady, because she seemed so nice and was excited to get him.

I feel even worse for Willie. He didnt ask to be taken from his home. He was so trusting and easy going when I picked him up and put him in his crate that morning. He was even cool with it when I was holding him and looking around her set up. I dont understand what happened to him, but I feel like I did something wrong and his turning nasty is my fault. Like I shouldnt have given him away, and that I've ruined an otherwise happy bird.

I know I'm being weird about this and I shouldnt get all worked up over "just a chicken." But I hatched him myself and he was my pet. I loved him. I honestly thought I was giving him a better life by sending him to a new home and hers seemed really perfect.

Anyhow- now that all of this has happened, I'm scared to death to give away my other 2 that need new homes. They're pretty stand-offish, tho my EE is slowly coming around. My marans mix went after my feet yesterday (I kicked him for it and he's avoided me ever since). I guess its time to mentally prepare to have them butchered (something I really wanted to avoid, if I could).

Thanks for listening.

Sad story. I'm sorry it turned out that way. I hope the other two don't turn psycho if/when you rehome them. Good luck with Willie and let us know what happens.

Willie's perfect home was with you. That's probably why he has acted the way that he did. He thought that would get him a trip back home to be with you again.
hmm.png

The change of environment probably had little or nothing to do with his behavior change. Sounds as if your cockerels are growing up and trying to assert themselves. Early intervention and attitude adjustment can sometimes set overly socialized roosters straight.

I would guess that he was growing up anyway and would start asserting himself more. Maybe he felt that he had to start asserting himself right now, being in a new enviroment. I mean, the totem order that birds have reminds me of stories of people in prisons, you know, how the new guy gets hazed and you'd better be able to hold your own and all. You know that any new bird had better either start out fighting and put everyone in their place, or accept being the bottom of the totem pole for a while. Well, being a roo and hormonal, he probably started out fighting. My new roo attacked my husband 3 times the first day and me once. Does the new owner have any experience with roosters? Agressive roosters? She's got to remember that he doesn't know that she's not a threat. And she has to be willing to assert herself as dominant. If she has cuddly chickens this may be hard for her to accept. good luck

Maybe he wasn't introduced slowly enough to her flock? Did he have some sort of divided area where they can all get used to each other, but separately? If she just threw him in with the others, he might have just freaked out and felt the need to defend himself. Chickens can be brutal. My sister threw two new ones into her flock last year and they nearly ripped the leghorn's crown clean off. They need time and a slow introduction period. I should know, I had to introduce two batches of new ones to my flock this summer. It's a process best done slowly. This is the third night that all 9 of my chickens are in the same coop (I have two) They have slowly grown into a cohesive unit this summer and all bunked together this week after two months of getting to know each other. One is a rooster too!
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom