I feel lucky...

gilmoujr

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Having read a lot of posts on here and then taking the plunge, I count myself as very lucky. I bought 24 chicks (6 bantams) during chick days at TSC and they are all still alive and well. I also ordered 16 - including 2 bantams - from a hatchery (not sure if I am allowed to say which one so I won't). They arrived yesterday and are all doing very well in the brooder. We could not be any more pleased. Their run is almost complete (going to get mulch today for the floor (has a small low-lying area) of the run. The coop is a 12x12 portion of our shed that I repurposed into their coop. Their run will be 20x20 when complete with 8 feet covered by a roof for rain/snow prevention. When I am outside they will also be able to free-range which I am already doing with them when the ground is not wet.

I would be remiss if I did not state that the advice that I have read on this site has been a tremendous asset to our success and look forward to lots of future learning and sharing.

Thanks a bunch -
Jim

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. One of my Sumatra bantams died last night. She started to get weak and wobble around last night and I separated her and made her drink. She would not eat. I held her for hours while she had mini convulsions. I was torn whether to put her out of her misery or just let nature take its course and hope for the best. She ended up passing at around 1:00AM. I understand that this sort of thing happens when raising chicks and is more prevalent in shipped chicks but it is still a tough pill to swallow. The rest of the flock is happy and running around fine this morning.

I am so sorry. I know that pain, I lost 5 of my first 8 within 2 days of their arrival. All my new ones (and the originals that were left) are all doing great now, but it was a hard loss. RIP little angel.

I am sorry to hear that you lost one. The stats that I have found that shipped chicks have a mortality rate anywhere from 5 - 15% due to the stress, lack of ability to control the temperature and of course to potential rough handling. Out of our 50 that we ordered, we lost three in the first 24 hours but now they are all good. My husband did take mercy on two of them that were horribly struggling and obviously in pain. I could NOT bring myself to do it. Thank god for my loving and yet strong hubby to be able to do that for me. I hope the rest of your lovely little flock flourish and bring you hours and hours of pleasure!

Back
Top Bottom