I feel so bad for my friend! (Caution:Graphic and long)

ilovemychickies

Songster
12 Years
Oct 10, 2007
Just north of Dallas Tx.
Last night around 4 am our friend heard one of her goats screaming. She ran out their assuming that something was trying to get the goat kids. When she went out there she saw that one of the goats was in labor and the kid was even bigger than 3 kids that are days older than it. That kid finally came out just fine. Then she saw that another was trying to come out but wasn't in the right position. She called the vet clinic that she takes her goats to and the doctor that she uses is out of town and a female vet is taking his place while he's gone. She calls the lady vet and tells her that her goat is having serious birth problems and that she needs for her to come out right away. She says that she can't because she is stiching up an injured horse and that she won't be available until tomorrow, and that it is very rare that goats ever have more than 1 kid. That's totally wrong! It is very common for goats to have more than one kid. Usually even more than 2! Anyway, none of the other clinics around have a vet that treats goats. She reaches into the goat and tries to turn the baby around. While she does it, the baby goat (while still inside the mother goat) starts sucking on her finger.
hit.gif
She wasn't able to move the baby at all. Luckily, her neighbor has goats and comes over to give moral support. The poor momma goat is still screaming. Finally, out of desperation, she reaches into the mother goat, grabs the baby, and pulls the baby out. When the baby came out, so did organs and blood. Poor her thought that she had pulled so hard that the baby had broken in half. The baby hadn't ripped in 2, but it was horribly deformed. She said that the baby's back was twisted and curved and that the back legs had grown over the baby's head. Also, the baby's organs where not attatched inside the baby. The poor thing died minutes after being born.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
Luckily, the mommy and huge baby survived. The poor lady (our friend) is so sad. It would be wonderful if you would keep her in your prayers. She is just so devastated. She loves her goats very much. I was suppost to spend the night at her house last night with her, her daughter, and neices, but I came down with a fever about 30 minutes before we were about to leave to go to her house. Man, was God watching out for me or what! I wouldn't have been able to handle that. I mean, I might have been able to at that moment, but afterwards I would be having nightmares and just not able to handle it. I can't believe I'm saying this, but thank goodness for fever!

Yes, God does know what we can and can not handle. Hopefully your friend will find some comfort in the fact that she saved the mothers life!! If she had not been able to deliver that baby they both would have died. So as tragic and unimaginably horrendous as it was, she is a hero for thinking quickly and saving the Mom. I am so sorry she had to go through this and I pray that the new baby brings joy to her life and helps her heal from those painful memories.

Oh my gosh how horrible was that?! Poor thing, I am so sorry to hear that, but you scared me thinking she pulled the doe's insides out! YIKES, glad mom and other baby are ok.
K

I am so sorry! I don't know what I would have done. I lost a baby not too long ago, mom didn't know what to do, and I wasn't home {nor did I know mom was even pregnant!!} I know how it feels, Luckily we both have mom still, but losing babies is so hard on the heart!!!
hit.gif
hugs.gif

I'm sorry to hear about your baby ZD-GR.
hit.gif
hugs.gif

Thanks y'all. I really appreciate it. That's one of the things that I love about BYC. You are all so sympathetic and understanding. Y'all are all wonderful!
hugs.gif

Awww, so sad. Sorry the little one didn't make it - sounds like he/she just wasn't made for this life and went right on to the great pasture in the sky.

I'm glad that your friend was able to help the momma and baby - just be sure to watch momma goat carefully for signs of uterine infection since she did have to assist with the birth so much.

Hugs...

Back
Top Bottom