I feel stupid even asking a poo question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom22alcorns, Jun 4, 2011.

1. mom22alcorns

mom22alcorns Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Sorry in advance for what is probably a stupid question, but I had to ask: My hens poo has changed from fairly runny to fairly firm. Can a chicken get constipated? Is this just normal? I have only had these hens for a couple of weeks and I'm still trying to learn all I can. They seem to ba acting fine. Still molting, eating good. Am I just being an overly concerned new hen mama?[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

remember there are no stupid questions, but there may be stupid answers...like mine. [​IMG]

4. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    There are two different types of poo that you will see. The 'normal' brown and white turd and then a brownish 'goo'. Both are completely normal.

Waste (faeces)
    The remainder of the material consisting of waste and undigested food are mixed with the urine in the cloaca and eliminated from the body as faeces. The appearance of the faeces varies considerably, but typically is a rounded, brown to grey mass topped with a cap of white uric acid from the kidneys. The contents of the caeca are also discharged periodically as discrete masses of brown, glutinous material.
    •The average daily production of faeces from laying hens is between 100 and 150 grams. These fresh droppings are approximately 75% water and will air dry under favourable conditions to approximately 30% water.

this is from poultry hub.

http://www.poultryhub.org/anatomy-and-physiology/digestive-system/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  5. mom22alcorns

mom22alcorns Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Thank you soooo much for the link! I found theirs on it in the "normal" pics...lol I bookmarked it so I can check back if I ever have another question. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by