I finally got my first egg and then.....???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizzy06019, Jul 18, 2010.

1. lizzy06019

lizzy06019 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    NOTHING! [​IMG] I have 21 girls who are all 20 weeks old. On Friday, one of my girls laid her first egg and even managed to get it in the nesting box. I'm still so proud of her. But now, 2 days have gone by and not a single egg? I know their laying schedule is still working out all the kinks but there are 20 other girls who aren't joining her. I sat in the coop today and watched one of the girls hop in the nesting box, make a beautiful nest, sing an egg song, hop down and there was NOTHING in the box!!! This whole process took almost an hour. I was almost positive there'd be an egg at the end. I'm new to chickens and I'm just wondering if what's going on here is typical.

Oh, and they have crushed oyster shell, 24/7 layer feed and water and they get greens, veggies and fruits as snacks throughout the day. They also get to free range for a couple hours each evening. I'm wondering if maybe the heat is messing with their cycle too?

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    try giving them crushed cayyen pepper that might jump start the laying

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    They'll start, don't worry. The heat may have some effect but even within a breed/same age birds they are not all ready the same day/week (or in my case month.....or more [​IMG] ). But it's worth a little more patience.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by