I finally have a new house hen. Am I being mean?

VanUnamed

Songster
5 Years
Jul 26, 2018
Romania
hello.
after the death of my beloved house hen zig zag last year, i finally have found a new friend. i was so sad, and i thought I could never love again.
this little hen, the name is Lisa, was part of my new dual-purpose flock of chicks, she got pecked on her bum and i brought her inside, but when she healed, i didn't send her back with the others. she sleeps in the house and hangs both in and out of my house in the yarden. she seems happy. Occasionally i also bring some chicken friend for her to play with. Am i being mean for wanting her as a pet? people do keep cats and dogs indoors and often alone. I let her out as much as possible too.
She's 2 months old. thats her on cuddling time

She really does need to be outside with her own kind and you can spend time with her outside. It's not great, physically and mentally, for a chicken to be inside, especially without others (they speak her language) and you can get a few illnesses, including some serious ones that cause something like a stroke, from being that close. As she gets older, she's going to molt twice a year, which is a huge mess, she also sheds a lot of dander.
There are people that can keep poultry successfully indoors but it takes a lot of work and cleaning. The birds often panic when the only flock they know (you) isn't around, Birds in general don't do well with stress. You're not being mean at all but it's really not a good idea in the long run and it's better for her to be outside with friends. :]

But I never listen.
she became so big, weighs close to 6lb. She sleeps in her big box that I clean every day, in the morning i let her out and she hangs with us until after lunch, after she ate all the tasty things, the I let her outside, she has her routine, goes where the main coop/run is, the road there is in between coop and hog pen. she hangs there, scratches about, sits next to the fence with the hens. I tried bringing a friend or letting some hens out, she just don't care much. I laugh so much when the hogs bark at her sometimes. When it becomes dark, i call, Lisa, lisa! and she comes running. when i come in to rest on the bed a little before dinner, she jumps on my lap and loves to be caressed, then, i put her to bed. I love her so much!!

But I never listen.
she became so big, weighs close to 6lb. She sleeps in her big box that I clean every day, in the morning i let her out and she hangs with us until after lunch, after she ate all the tasty things, the I let her outside, she has her routine, goes where the main coop/run is, the road there is in between coop and hog pen. she hangs there, scratches about, sits next to the fence with the hens. I tried bringing a friend or letting some hens out, she just don't care much. I laugh so much when the hogs bark at her sometimes. When it becomes dark, i call, Lisa, lisa! and she comes running. when i come in to rest on the bed a little before dinner, she jumps on my lap and loves to be caressed, then, i put her to bed. I love her so much!!
that's not mean at all! you are treating that hen like a goddess. she is very happy!

Just keep her living quarters clean, should be fine.

I'm currently doing the same with a bantam, he sleeps in a cardboard box in my living room. Every morning he gets fed and he walks outside down the stairs to hangout and forage with my large chickens all day till dawn. Then he jump back up the stairs walks back in the house and goes to his perch to sleep.

I don't cuddle him.

Back
Top Bottom