I finally know what you mean by "Hawk Attack".

QuackerJackFarms

Songster
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
Missouri
Ok, Until yesterday I just read these posts about Hawks and thought, "Really?" But, if it's on BYC then it's true... So I have been watching the 2 hawks that like to circle my yard when I let my ducks out to free range. They have been circling way up high so I can't really get a good look at them. In fact, at first I thought they were vultures but then realized... no, those are hawks.

Anyway, yesterday after I let the duckies out, (and marveled at the nest I found full of eggs-it was an exciting day) I heard my duck quack in a funny way. (Hard to explain, but it was like a solitary, "quack".)

I turn around to see a HAWK swoop down, come about a foot from my ducks and then continue up again. OMG!! I was RIGHT THERE!! Not only that but my husband was right there too! It came within probably 5 feet of my husband.

My conclusion:

I think this hawk was swooping down to check things out, because it obviously wasn't in attack mode. I think the duck did that weird quack as a warning. I think this hawk will no longer be afraid of us, if it even was before, because we just stood there dumbfounded like a bunch of jerks! We should have done something! Seriously, we just stood there with our jaws open! It just happened SO FAST! I think my ducks maybe didn't get attacked because of the rose bushes they were standing under.

And I also think this hawk will be back. But at least I can have a different perspective now when reading your stories.

As for the ducks. Not sure what I'm going to do there. We live in the city (not for long) so I watch the duckies all day long. I'm a stay at home mom, so when duckies are out, I'm able to check on them ALL the time. I may limit their free range time. I don't know for sure. I'll figure it out though! Cuz nothins' getting my girlies!

ps: The hawks don't circle every day. I will update on if it comes back today. I will also try to get a picture. Although it would be from way up high.. still I'll try to get one.

And also I would love to read your hawk stories! PLease post them for me!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this. I, too, have hawks circling, but never had an attack. The hawks I am watching have never been directly overhead, but always off to the side. We have trees around our house and have a lot of birds who make a lot of noise (magpies, doves, meadowlark). I have seen the meadowlark chase off crows. Maybe they are a deterrent?
hu.gif
I'm hoping there is enough feed around so that hawks don't come for my chickens. Also, you mentioned your rose bushes. I thought my chickens were relatively safe because they spend a lot of time under my raspberry bushes and then I read a story here on BYC where someone found a hawk in her raspberry bushes eating one of her chickens.
sad.png
Darn predators!

We have at least a male and female pair at our house they have not gotten any of my girls though, anyway we have a TON of crow here and if a hawk comes into our yard 5-7 crows fly from the trees and after the hawk it is amazing to watch the hawk dives all the crows dive to the ground. And they don't stop til the hawk is no were in site! Good crows
clap.gif

We've had luck with a good crow call that I have and a scarecrow that we move every few days......

It seems to keep the hawk in check...... for now........

Our border-collie understands that the hawk is a problem for "his" chickens so he alerts when it shows up......

Speaking of Hawk Attacks --- I lost three chickens in 1.5 days to a Sharp Shinned Hawk. The Hawk got into my coop! must have walked right in the door just like the girls. I lost three of my best layers. So...yesterday I called home at lunch time and asked my roommate to go out and check on the chickens sure enough there was a mutilated girl (not dead) and the hawk stuck in my now fully covered run, it could not get out. I was so ticked I believe I broke the law (which I didn't realize until I was relating this story to a friend and she said "you can't do that!!!) But what am I to do now. The deed is done and my girls are safe. I have since gotten a nice big net and covered the entire run and yard. Did you know fishermen just throw out old net? I could not believe it. I have a 1x1 hole net completely covering my
16 x 20 chicken yard. So I am sorry for the Sharp Shinned Hawk and next time I will get prevention so all can live happily ever after (now that I know where to get FREE net).

looking for some forgiveness
bow.gif

V

Quote:
I really don't think any law was broken since I am sure you did your best to help that hawk to get out of your run and it hurt itself somehow
idunno.gif
Right?

It is indeed against the law to harm any hawk even if you catch it attacking your livestock....

It is a federal law and carries a pretty hefty fine I think.

Thanks for the stories! Great feedback here. I haven't seen the hawks at all today, but one of you mentioned a "pair". I never thought of that, but there are 2. I wonder if they are paired up? I haven't seen any crows, but I have noticed a BUNCH of little birdies that sit on the high wire and wait for me to feed the ducks so they can get the left overs. I wonder if I put some cracked corn out there if I'd attract any crows. Now that I think about it.. there are 2 little chipmunks that are doing the same thing. So there's ANOTHER reason for a hawk to hang out here. Yikes!

NO I didn't do anything. It was injured when I got there and when I went back out to check on the chickens it was dead. The Girls must have taken revenge!
yippiechickie.gif
Yes, that is it!

Back
Top Bottom