I Fixed It!

Birch Run Farm

Biddy up!
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
VERMONT
OK, here's a thread to post your moments of glory. I am not a trained handy person but always give a challenging repair job a try. I can't afford to hire repair people, they all make considerably more money an hour than I do.

Yesterday I surprised myself and fixed my range. There was a power outage on Thursday and it cause the oven door to lock. It is mechanical and there is no lever for you to reach to undo it. I started by letting it go through a cleaning cycle. It still didn't unlock. I switched off the breaker and I began to dismantle the cook top to try and get at the lock.

I found a relay switch and was unable to move the lock so I took a piece of thin wire and wrapped it around the relay switch which depressed a small lever on the side of the relay.

I switched the breaker back on and the oven door lock began rotating. It is gear driven but the gear is buried under more housing. I watched the rotation of the lock lever and saw where the door would release at a certain point. As long as I kept the relay switch wired it kept turning the gear. Now I knew where I wanted it to stop so the oven door was functional. I switched the power off and removed the wire from the switch.

Powered it back up and it stayed put, fixed! While I was 'under the hood' I fooled around with all the wires and solved another problem, a loose connection for the LED display. So far all is good! I baked a pizza for dinner.

Other stuff I did that I found out is really simple: replacing all of the faucets in the house. EASY, just takes a little time. Tiling floors: also easy, even cutting tile is easy. Sure has saved me some money.

Congrats. One thing I never do is mess with anything electric, afraid I'll burn the house down!
lau.gif
I do have a couple of books on simple home repairs around here and I refer to them from time to time. Also I subrscribe to a couple of Do-It-Yourself websites for information purposes.

Congratulations on your fix-it job!!
thumbsup.gif

Being on a tight budget; I try to fix everything I possibly can around the house. It's amazing what a person can do when you put your mind to it!!
smile.png

clap.gif
Good for you! I can pretty much take on anything that requires power tools,wood,nails and a plunger but when it comes to electricity I let my husband deal with that. I'm terrified of being electrocuted. I've been zapped 3 times, the third time just happened 2 weeks ago when I grabbed a surge protector. It didn't protect me!

Your braver than me!! years ago yes I would take my hand to anything and have a go fixing it....not now tough too many health and safety issues re the UK... your brave!

Nah, not brave just pennyless! Budget enforces I do as much as I possibly can. The more I do the better. I learn a lot by watching others do stuff. I never forget how they did it.

Sometimes I will call someone who knows what to do. Other times I call my mother, now she can do anything!

Back
Top Bottom