1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Fixed It!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Birch Run Farm, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    OK, here's a thread to post your moments of glory. I am not a trained handy person but always give a challenging repair job a try. I can't afford to hire repair people, they all make considerably more money an hour than I do.

Yesterday I surprised myself and fixed my range. There was a power outage on Thursday and it cause the oven door to lock. It is mechanical and there is no lever for you to reach to undo it. I started by letting it go through a cleaning cycle. It still didn't unlock. I switched off the breaker and I began to dismantle the cook top to try and get at the lock.

I found a relay switch and was unable to move the lock so I took a piece of thin wire and wrapped it around the relay switch which depressed a small lever on the side of the relay.

I switched the breaker back on and the oven door lock began rotating. It is gear driven but the gear is buried under more housing. I watched the rotation of the lock lever and saw where the door would release at a certain point. As long as I kept the relay switch wired it kept turning the gear. Now I knew where I wanted it to stop so the oven door was functional. I switched the power off and removed the wire from the switch.

Powered it back up and it stayed put, fixed! While I was 'under the hood' I fooled around with all the wires and solved another problem, a loose connection for the LED display. So far all is good! I baked a pizza for dinner.

Other stuff I did that I found out is really simple: replacing all of the faucets in the house. EASY, just takes a little time. Tiling floors: also easy, even cutting tile is easy. Sure has saved me some money.

2. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Congrats. One thing I never do is mess with anything electric, afraid I'll burn the house down! [​IMG] I do have a couple of books on simple home repairs around here and I refer to them from time to time. Also I subrscribe to a couple of Do-It-Yourself websites for information purposes.

3. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    Congratulations on your fix-it job!! [​IMG]
    Being on a tight budget; I try to fix everything I possibly can around the house. It's amazing what a person can do when you put your mind to it!! [​IMG]

4. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    [​IMG] Good for you! I can pretty much take on anything that requires power tools,wood,nails and a plunger but when it comes to electricity I let my husband deal with that. I'm terrified of being electrocuted. I've been zapped 3 times, the third time just happened 2 weeks ago when I grabbed a surge protector. It didn't protect me!

5. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Your braver than me!! years ago yes I would take my hand to anything and have a go fixing it....not now tough too many health and safety issues re the UK... your brave!

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Nah, not brave just pennyless! Budget enforces I do as much as I possibly can. The more I do the better. I learn a lot by watching others do stuff. I never forget how they did it.

Sometimes I will call someone who knows what to do. Other times I call my mother, now she can do anything!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by