I found a broken egg in the nest

melroseladi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Melrose, Florida
I just found a broken egg when I went to check on the guineas. The shell does not seem hard at all. I have her on layer pellets, scratch with cracked corn. I have not been letting her out to free range but she is in a run with dirt floor and does get some bugs. The yolk is very deeply colored, more orange then yellow, a small white/clear spot in the yolk, and very little egg white.

I'm sorry to hear about your thin guinea egg, and am interested in what advice you receive. My guineas are on Flock Raiser for the higher protein, and they free range all day, but I don't give them a separate calcium source. Now I'm wondering if I should be providing oyster shells like I do for my chickens.
hu.gif
Good question... Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help.

Occasionally my Hens will lay a thin shelled egg or 2 early in the season, and usually it's just the first couple of eggs from the 1st timer young Hens. It's possible their bodies just aren't in sync with the egg laying process yet. Layer feed, free choice oyster shell and lots of fresh greens should get her on track, works for my Hens anyway
hu.gif
IMO... unless your weather is still really cold, she doesn't really need the scratch... it has no calcium and provides minimal protein (it's junk food, lol). She may be eating more scratch than layer feed.

Edit:
I usually switch my flocks over to a layer ration as soon as I find the first egg... usually sometime in January here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom