I Found A Chicken! What Do I Do?!?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ducksarebetterloljks, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ducksarebetterloljks

ducksarebetterloljks New Egg

Nov 2, 2011
    Hi everyone,

This is the first time I have used this forum and I registered just to ask this question…

This morning I woke up at around 6:30 and I found a white chicken in my back yard. I just left it there and continued going to school and hoping it would find its way back home. Now I just got home and it is still there, pecking and scratching at the worms and bugs. I live in inner city Brisbane (Australia), and I do not know if anyone in my street has chickens. I just gave it some spinach, I chopped up and apple, and also gave it some strawberries and half a piece of bread.

There is a busy road off the back yard, and I have no idea how it could jump over the fence (1.5m). I also locked my cat indoors so there wouldn't be a nasty accident…

What do I do? should I just keep it? should I put posters up to contact me if they have lost a chicken? should I make a box for it to sleep in for the night? I am in a bit of a pickle, please respond with some useful tips! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    It's nice of you to offer it some food in addition to what it can scratch. [​IMG] I would definitely put up flyers. If nobody comes and you want to keep it, you'll need to clip it's flight wings on one side (you can find videos on YouTube that show you how), and it will need a secure place, a coop of some sort, that can be locked at night. In a pinch a dog kennel or something like that will do. Chickens would rather perch up high than nestle down into a box or something like that. If you do use a box you should bring it inside at night and fix some kind of lid on it (breathable, of course). If you don't want to keep it and nobody steps forward, I would call the appropriate city authorities or an agency like the Humane Society. Good luck!

3. ducksarebetterloljks

ducksarebetterloljks New Egg

Nov 2, 2011
    Thanks Katydid2011,

I will put out some flyers for the immediate vicinity this afternoon, and if no one replies, well it can have a new home at our place (I just love the sound of the clucking noises). Thank you again!

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Fair warning. If you keep it, you'll likely end up wanting more! Chickens are addictive! [​IMG]

5. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Quote:Too True! I lost a hen to a neighbor hood dog once and after some convincing my wife agreed to let me pick up a replacement hen at the local poultry swap, well my 1 replacement hen turned into 6 replacement hens and 4 little "replacement" chicks! She was mad until she saw how adorable they were! Oh and welcome to BYC ducksarebetter! Lol
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I agree putting up the flyers is a great idea. But somehow try to find a way for the present to have a protected place for it. It would really make you sick to come home and find it spread out all over the yard.

7. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    Find it's owner yet? Or is it yours now? [​IMG]

8. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    yes, update please..........do you love it?

9. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

x2
    Quote:

10. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Any news? Did you find the owner? Are you the new owner? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by