I found a guy on CL with mandarin and wood duck eggs available!

Well in a predicament like this theres only one thing to do, Get some of both! It would be a good Idea to see if you need a permit for the wood ducks.

state wise I dont know, but if you plan to raise and offer these for sell later on, YES you will need a U.S.D.I. Migratory Waterfowl Sales and Disposal Permit for the wood ducks.
The mandarins have no permit at all on a Federal Level.
So bare that in mind when making your choice. Both are virtually identical in care, habits, feed etc, they can not mix breed so are safe to keep together.
and are equally as beautiful.
Be sure your breeder gives you the form 3-186 transfer paper if you go with wood ducks, and keep it. This will be your possession permit til the day they die. With out this you are illegally keeping protected migratory waterfowl and if checked, you will have to supply it to the game officals. If the breeder can not give you this form, he is unlicensed and you best pass on it to avoid heavy fines and confiscation of the birds.
Aside from that, go for it, they are very beautiful birds and easy to care for if give and decent pen with plenty of cover. Both are pretty flighty and need at least a 10x 10 pen for a pair, elevated nest boxes and decent clean ponds. Dont have to be pristen but not a green mud hole either.

Back
Top Bottom