I Found A LOST CHICKEN

Sassyducks

Hatching
Jul 29, 2023
I woke up this morning, looked out my window and saw chicken in the road. I ran downstairs and outside barefoot to go and catch the chicken, because I live by a busy road and didnt want it to get hit. I ended up catching it after chasing it down the road for 20 minutes. I MUST HAVE LOOKED CRAZY RUNNING DOWN THE ROAD IN MY PJS, BAREFOOT AT 8 AM TRYING TO CATCH A CHICKEN. Luckily I had a old duck roosting house. Im keeping it in there right now. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT. It layed an egg, I gave it some veggies and water. I tried posting "found a lost chicken" on facebook, craiglist and some other websites. Is there anything else I can do.

I woke up this morning, looked out my window and saw chicken in the road. I ran downstairs and outside barefoot to go and catch the chicken, because I live by a busy road and didnt want it to get hit. I ended up catching it after chasing it down the road for 20 minutes. I MUST HAVE LOOKED CRAZY RUNNING DOWN THE ROAD IN MY PJS, BAREFOOT AT 8 AM TRYING TO CATCH A CHICKEN. Luckily I had a old duck roosting house. Im keeping it in there right now. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT. It layed an egg, I gave it some veggies and water. I tried posting "found a lost chicken" on facebook, craiglist and some other websites. Is there anything else I can do.
Congratulations! You successfully received the 'chicken starter package'! From here on out, you will learn about chicken math (its real), chicken personalities and become a crazy chicken person!

I'm just joking ;) Good on you for catching it though! Hopefully someone responds on facebook- if not, do any of your neighbors have chickens? Maybe one slipped out from down the road... If you can't keep her, try posting on craigslist. Someone may be happy to give her a home and a flock :)

Even our small town has a Facebook page for lost/found animals so I'd try find something on FB local to you. You could also call animal control and see if anyone's reported missing chickens although I doubt that one.

If you keep it more than a couple of days you may need to buy a small bag of chicken feed for it.

Don't feel bad for looking silly. My hubby ran out in just his briefs carrying my shotgun to shoot in the air to scare off bear. I don't think anyone but the cows and horses and me saw that, but oh what a picture that would have been!

:welcomeWow, that's a big jump into the chicken world! Good for you! You have a great start and have done your very best so far. I'll give you some guidelines for next steps. First off, I would check for any subtle injuries,bottoms of feet, under wings, etc.
Next, pet stores and Feed stores carry chicken feeds, you'll need a layer feed for her. Any kind will do, crumbles or pellets. Just make sure she has food and water. Could you post pictures of where she is and what she looks like so we can help you make her setup more comfortable? If she doesn't belong to any of your neighbors, she may have fallen off of a commercial truck, in which case, she has no home.

Last edited:
The hen is fortunate to be with you. Awesome for rescuing her! Perhaps, it’s just meant to be…

you + chicken = chicken person!

While you decide whether she’s found a new home with you or not, @Debbie292d and @ILoveDaffy have given great advice. If you don’t keep her, I hope you find the owner or new forever home. 😊

Is there anything else I can do.
What are you feeding your ducks? There is a good chance you can feed that to the hen. What is the manufacturer, name on the feed, and percent protein?

We always like seeing a photo. In your case it might help us determine if it is likely a neighbor's chicken or one that fell off of a truck probably raking spent hens to slaughter or young pullets to a new farm. Since she laid an egg she did not fall off of a truck taking meat birds to slaughter.

Do your neighbors have chickens, especially the same breed? One scenario I can imagine, especially if you found her first thing in the morning, is a predator attack where she got away and got lost.

I can't think of anything that hasn't already been mentioned. You've already posted everywhere I can think if. Do you want to keep her if she is unclaimed? If so, she probably needs chicken company. If not, I'd call animal control and surrender her.

Congratulations! You successfully received the 'chicken starter package'! From here on out, you will learn about chicken math (its real), chicken personalities and become a crazy chicken person!

I'm just joking ;) Good on you for catching it though! Hopefully someone responds on facebook- if not, do any of your neighbors have chickens? Maybe one slipped out from down the road... If you can't keep her, try posting on craigslist. Someone may be happy to give her a home and a flock :)
😂 I have 😂 just 😂 Google chicken math 😂 omg that is sooo 😂 true 😂

Ps hubby 😂 just 😂 doesn’t get it 😂 😂

Back
Top Bottom