I FOUND A STRAY DOG!!!! help!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by beliabeans, Jan 27, 2012.

1. beliabeans

beliabeans Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    Quacksvill
    does anyone know about dogs??please i have been feeding this dog he looks like a short black lab maybe mixed but i trapped him in my back yard and hes hurt . someone said he gets beat and he was hit by a car. hes nice but really scared so he wont let me pet him but he eats when i had him food...
    will he ever let me pet him so i can put a leash on him and see a vet/

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Are you in an area where you can call animal control?

3. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    can you coax him into a large box or cage? Something secure so that you can transport him in a car to a vet? If he won't let you pet him now you don't want to run the risk of putting him on a leash just yet - just in case he takes fright and gets away from you.

How can you tell he is hurt? What signs of pain or injury is he showing. This will also allow us to help you more.

Don't let him eat too much if you want to take him to the vet. If he has internal injuries and needs an operation... food before hand isn't a good thing.

If you can't get to a vet straight away (or if your finances won't allow for it) keep a close eye on him. Give him a warm, safe and quiet place to lay down and access to water.

4. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Call the humane society in your area in the morning...preferably a no kill shelter. They will have the means to catch the dog and get it treated without injuring themselves or the dog.

1 person likes this.
  5. beliabeans

beliabeans Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    Quacksvill
    hes trying to dig under my gate and his hand is hurt hes limping but he doesnt seem like its broken. i may just call the HS tomorrow morning. he is young

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Poor baby that is so sad, I hope you can help him. and maybe report his owners if you can find out if what you heard is true.

7. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a lot of experience with strays/drop-offs. Patience is the key. Gaining their trust takes time. Keep feeding it and speak to is in a low, soft voice, while sitting on the ground near it. Avoid loud noises and sudden moves. It's always worked for me.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by