I found mites on an egg and believe they are on the combs of at least two of my hens. :(

I havent used permethrin but I think I'll try it. I have used the dawn, cooking oil and water. It helps and it can be sprayed on the chickens without hurting them. I also use the Adams Flea and Tick apray and diamatious earth. Adams can be sprayed on the chickens also.

I didn’t want to spray the chickens with the cooler temps we are having. But, I would if it were warmer.

Some people use DE as a preventative. Some say it doesn’t work -especially once there is an outbreak already. As a preventative, I don’t see any harm in it as long as you have the Food safe version.

Oh boy, that is a big fat slow ball just floating up to the plate. So now if you don't have mites on you flock it is because (chose one of the following) you use Diatomaceous Earth, and likewise if you have a mite infestation it is because you use Diatomaceous Earth.

Is DE ok to use on the bottom of the nest box, with the nesting pad on top, for added protection? I was also planning on dusting wall studs and joists, with DE, my next cleaning.

Sulfur powder is much more effective. I had DE in the bottom of my nestboxes and under the bedding in my coop. It did nothing to prevent an outbreak. The mites were quite at home in it actually.

Oh boy, that is a big fat slow ball just floating up to the plate. So now if you don't have mites on you flock it is because (chose one of the following) you use Diatomaceous Earth, and likewise if you have a mite infestation it is because you use Diatomaceous Earth.

Ha. Never thought of it like that. But, that’s how I’ve come across the info. Good call.
I’m new to chickens btw, so have been reading everything I can. But, yeah there is a lot mixed in for out there.

Our flock was sprayed with permethrin last nigh on their roosts. it doesn't need to be a lot of spray! Frost last night, and everyone is fine today. Mary

I did spray the poultry protector lightly around the coop and outside on the run wood. I’m very new to chickens and rearing them. I didn’t want to cause them to become ill from being wet and cold. So, I got the powder form to be on the safe side. That’s good to know that it wouldn’t have affected them. We probably have the same type of weather right now (I just noticed your location).

I actually took them off their roost and out of the coop one at a time to dust them. I’m assuming you would have to do the same to spray them? My coop is small and not one that I can stand inside with them. So that might make a difference too.

If you us dust, WEAR A N95 FACE MASK, at least. Breathing any dust product is bad for your lungs!!!
I find spray much easier to apply, and much less messy. After dusting 45 birds individually without an adequate face mask, and avoiding a hospital stay (barely) I discovered Gordon's spray concentrate. So much less expensive, and easier to use!
I doubt that Poultry Protector will be anywhere close to as effective, and potassium sorbate isn't that harmless anyway.
How can something, anything, kill bugs and be non-toxic??? Mary

If you us dust, WEAR A N95 FACE MASK, at least. Breathing any dust product is bad for your lungs!!!
I find spray much easier to apply, and much less messy. After dusting 45 birds individually without an adequate face mask, and avoiding a hospital stay (barely) I discovered Gordon's spray concentrate. So much less expensive, and easier to use!
I doubt that Poultry Protector will be anywhere close to as effective, and potassium sorbate isn't that harmless anyway.
How can something, anything, kill bugs and be non-toxic??? Mary

I wore a mask. I looked up the reviews for the poultry protector after I bough it - and they were ok. So, I figure, I still dusted the main areas and sprayed with the PP it should be enough. If not, I will get the permethrin spray to at least spray the wood and run.

I'm afraid neither DE or Poultry Protector will get rid of mites.
Use a Permethrin based spray to do the job.

I bought and used the permethrin dust on the birds and in the main parts of the coop/run. I only sprayed the PP where I didn’t think the dust would be able to go. There is a super cold spell taking place right now and I didn’t want the birds to be wet - so opted for the permethrin dust.
When I checked them I did not see masses of mites, in fact, I didn’t see any. But, that could have been my newb (er um old) eyes. Plus with it being dark and only having a headlight on - nerves probably also played into everything too! I only saw what I thought was a mite on the egg that I wiped. I also am not sure about the comb. I need to wipe it to see I guess and I haven’t had time between yesterday and today to do that. I will do a thorough check this weekend when I have time and daylight to work with.

Back
Top Bottom