I found what was killing my flock... me

Thank you again for the support everyone! This forum is wonderful opportunity to find information, share thoughts and experiences.

So sorry. My kiddos have happened upon some of our chickens that have died as well. It is never easy. The worst was when we had some very out of season for us, 90* temps in March and while I was quite sick one day, my kids forgot to let the ladies out of the coop, even though I had asked them to. They came running in later that afternoon, "the chickens are sleeping and we can't wake them up!". They weren't dead...yet. My husband and I worked for 3 hours trying to save them. We managed to save 3 our of 8. My daughter's favorite was the last one to die....the next day. It was truly awful. Worse is that she blamed herself for not doing what I told her to do, when I told her to do it. I felt awful because even though I felt miserable, I didn't make sure the chickens had been taken care of. She still misses Emily and has even written a few letters to Emily, telling her that she still misses and loves her.
hit.gif
Tough life lesson that is for sure.

hugs.gif
Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing because I was planing to buy some grub killer for my lawn. I was thinking I would just keep chickens locked in their run until it rained well on the treated yard - then I would let them out again. Now I'm rethinking that plan and will do much more research for a safe alternative.
Beer in a shallow dish is a great grub killer. Leave it out at night and there will be fat, dead grubs in it come morning.

Back
Top Bottom