I gave a rooster away and it makes a difference.

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
Last July, I got two pretty boys to add to my rebuilding flock. They got along, I really never noticed much tension, the old girls did some schooling, they often roosted next to each other at night. I did think it might get rough in the spring when hormone start to rise. I have a small flock, really did not need two roosters, and when a neighbor gal wanted one, it was easy for me to catch one and deliver.

The thing is, there was a tension in the flock. When the extra rooster left I became aware of it. Things are calmer. The rooster I kept that I am calling Longjohns, seems more confident, more proud. It could be that we are getting closer to the solstice, and the molt is over, but the girls seem to dote on him. The flock is happier.

I have 11 girls and a rooster in a 20x30 run, with a 6x8 coop. I have long said, I would not keep 2 roosters with less than 25 head, and this rather reinforces it. I have a lovely flock for my set up and things are peaceful, always solve for peace in the flock.

Mrs K

:love

Have you also noticed your hens are starting to look prettier?

This spring I was in a similar situation and when giving a rooster away, I didn't notice anything for a while. I never saw signs of the hens being abused but I suppose overbreeding was wearing a few of them out and I hadn't noticed because now, there is a visible difference and they are looking so much more beautiful.

Well, yes, I did know it, but it seem to be working. While I have planned to give him away for months, actually catching him, crating him and delivering was an easy to thing to do next week as there really did not seem to be a problem.

It was not terrible, could very well had gotten table, and I kept a close eye, it wasn't terrible, it is just so MUCH BETTER with him gone.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom