I gave broody hen chicks; couple questions on care

For those experenced in grafting purchased chicks to a broody, should I even attempt to put these chicks under her, given the toe and chase incident?

I went out to move feeder and waterer. Hen got up, chicks ran out and hen started pecking their feet, then chasing them to peck their toes. The chicks huddled in a corner away from her; one chick is bleeding a bit. Hen was clucking like a mother hen but I removed the gate and hen immediately went to an open nest box away from the chicks.
Is there any point in giving her another try?
Not sure I'd hold out for 'mama', chicks may be too old.

People tend to blame the mama hen, but the chicks have to work at this relationship too. Personally I would keep trying. I think that the bond will form. A lot of people don't like risking it, but chicks are much more sturdy than people think, once they get hatched.

You are worried that they are not getting enough food, if so, take a couple of chicks out, feed them, and then put them back, taking a few more out and feed them. If I was positive I had to do this, I would do it at night in the dark, the taking and returning of chicks as this is very apt to upset the hen.

The pecking at their feet might be because of you. A lot of mothers become aggressive if they are bothered too much in the bonding period. Rabbits, cats and even dogs, and chickens can be upset by the human interference.

Animals tend to survive - so I would not worry too much about the food and water. Very few animals starve to death with food available. Yes she chases them when YOU are watching, you might be the predator. But I guess you are watching on a camera too so who knows. I would keep trying. If a single chick gets bunged up, take that one out. Leave the rest, 10-1 later you can add that one back.

Mrs K

People tend to blame the mama hen, but the chicks have to work at this relationship too. Personally I would keep trying. I think that the bond will form. A lot of people don't like risking it, but chicks are much more sturdy than people think, once they get hatched.

You are worried that they are not getting enough food, if so, take a couple of chicks out, feed them, and then put them back, taking a few more out and feed them. If I was positive I had to do this, I would do it at night in the dark, the taking and returning of chicks as this is very apt to upset the hen.

The pecking at their feet might be because of you. A lot of mothers become aggressive if they are bothered too much in the bonding period. Rabbits, cats and even dogs, and chickens can be upset by the human interference.

Animals tend to survive - so I would not worry too much about the food and water. Very few animals starve to death with food available. Yes she chases them when YOU are watching, you might be the predator. But I guess you are watching on a camera too so who knows. I would keep trying. If a single chick gets bunged up, take that one out. Leave the rest, 10-1 later you can add that one back.

Mrs K
Thank you for your advice. It may have been me being in there upsetting her…I feel bad she hurt the chick bc of that.
I want this to work for them so would like to try again.
Should I wait until night again, or can I put them under her in daylight; its dim in the brooder area, plus she has a darker nest box inside of that space. Thoughts?
Thank you for the encouragement, btw.

I take it you have them all out? First don't feel guilty, you are doing the best you can. It is tricky and not all might make it. Just go with the idea that something was wrong with that chick, and move on, no need to feel guilty.

If you have them all out, feed them, water them. Then as it gets dark, put them outside for a good 15 minutes. You want them to be cold, and peeping madly. They won't die. After about 10 minutes, move them down outside the coop, where she can hear them. Then with the absolute minimum of light, stick them under her. She may peck a few, ignore that. If they crawl out, stick them back again. If they are good and cold, they are going to stick to her like a tick, AND THAT IS what you need. The chick has to stick to the mother.

It should get quiet. If it does, you have done the best you can and leave them and her. Try not to even peak till 10:00 tomorrow morning. I think they will figure it out.

Mrs K

I don't know who said Bielefelders are typically non-setters, but that has NOT been my experience. I have only ever had one bielefelder hen, and she goes broody so often we stopped calling her by her name and just renamed her Broody Hen.

I gave her two farm store chicks last week, and moved them down to the floor after about 14 hours. (10 am the next day). I moved them out from under her by hand to show them the food and water. She followed and tried to keep them covered at first but eventually started clucking and showing them what to eat. They're doing fine now. This isn't her first time raising chicks, but it is her first time adopting them. Good luck with yours!
PXL_20230423_213321008.PORTRAIT.jpg

I take it you have them all out? First don't feel guilty, you are doing the best you can. It is tricky and not all might make it. Just go with the idea that something was wrong with that chick, and move on, no need to feel guilty.

If you have them all out, feed them, water them. Then as it gets dark, put them outside for a good 15 minutes. You want them to be cold, and peeping madly. They won't die. After about 10 minutes, move them down outside the coop, where she can hear them. Then with the absolute minimum of light, stick them under her. She may peck a few, ignore that. If they crawl out, stick them back again. If they are good and cold, they are going to stick to her like a tick, AND THAT IS what you need. The chick has to stick to the mother.

It should get quiet. If it does, you have done the best you can and leave them and her. Try not to even peak till 10:00 tomorrow morning. I think they will figure it out.

Mrs K
Perfect! I put two under her; they went right under—she poked a little but settled in.
I’m keeping two inside to see how mom does. The one with the injured toe has a slight limp so I thought it best not to put that one in with a weakness. If all goes well in morning I will put the other two in tomorrow night.
I work from 7-7 but repositioned my cam on her area, not that that will do much good, but it’s worth another try. I have faith that what will is what’s meant to be.
Praying for the best outcome for all.

Thanks, Mrs K 😊

I don't know who said Bielefelders are typically non-setters, but that has NOT been my experience. I have only ever had one bielefelder hen, and she goes broody so often we stopped calling her by her name and just renamed her Broody Hen.

I gave her two farm store chicks last week, and moved them down to the floor after about 14 hours. (10 am the next day). I moved them out from under her by hand to show them the food and water. She followed and tried to keep them covered at first but eventually started clucking and showing them what to eat. They're doing fine now. This isn't her first time raising chicks, but it is her first time adopting them. Good luck with yours!View attachment 3479275
Oh, sweet girl! Is that a Mystic Maran chick? The face looks exactly like the chicks I just got.
I’m in trouble if Biels go broody often. I have 4 hens (and a fabulous roo). I wouldn’t mind chicks next year, but this yr I’m incredibly busy. I am hoping my Sweets takes to being a mother, but if not I will of course cherish the experience to brood them myself.

Oh, sweet girl! Is that a Mystic Maran chick? The face looks exactly like the chicks I just got.
I’m in trouble if Biels go broody often. I have 4 hens (and a fabulous roo). I wouldn’t mind chicks next year, but this yr I’m incredibly busy. I am hoping my Sweets takes to being a mother, but if not I will of course cherish the experience to brood them myself.
Black copper marans. So yeah, similar.

Back
Top Bottom