I GIVE UP .....

Maybe if you could make up some oatmeal balls and let them dry hard, then place them in their coop. They would peck the oatmeal balls and that would give them something to do, plus a big treat. Just an idea.

mine like scratching through hay a lot. some people are anti hay though. but to me, it's good. sundays are good for me, too, actually. i love to hear you have at home days. so old fashioned.
smile.png

It's called "chicken stress" all chicken people go through this at one point of there chicken loving process.
Maby the roo's are causing this trouble?.
Dont give up...

I think she only has a banty roo mabe you should get a big buff orph or barred rock they seem layed back but not too much soo. mine girls like scratch grains so mabe you could get hay and put scratch up. also a head of lettuce hanging from a sting is always good.

Good luck henry

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
I love that idea !!!

I will give the oatmeal ball a try- they tear up oatmeal in the bowl so I know that is one treat they will love.

I dont think my roo is the problem - he is so " hen pecked " poor guy - he and the banty hen are the only ones not getting pecked by the others.

pickles - pick a sunday and come on over - I will have hot coffee waiting for ya. and you can have fun trying to figure out which girls would make a good addition to your flock. yea I am kinda old fashion LOL

boy I cant wait till the weather gets warm - the girls seemed to behave themselves better in the spring/summer months.

Julie

I hope this doesnt happen when I expand my flock they will have quarintine but when I introduce them coop space will be tight till i get the addition going

I throw in a flake of alfalfa hay every couple days that my girls don't free range into the run. They love picking the leaves off the stems and scratching around in it. It makes the egg yolks nice and yellow in the winter, too.
smile.png

If it's only 1 or 2 doing the pecking (the EEs???) the wounds will be an attractive nuisance to the others to start pecking also. I agree with the advice to get rid of the offenders, let the wounds heal and see if the problem continues.
Hanging heads of lettuce is also a fun way to reduce boredom and give them something to peck at.

Edited to add:

The offenders may not pose the same problem if rehomed to another flock or by themselves because they will have to establish their social order all over again, so don't feel bad about rehoming them to someone else!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom