I give up

cthrash1

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset, KY
No more shipped eggs in bator...I did everything by the book this time. Out of all the eggs bayhorsebonne shipped me, several ended up with floating airsacs(post office
barnie.gif
) but I held on hope and kept them, and of the only two that looked developed, one wasn't and the other broke into the side of the saddle airsac and looked like it couldn't get a good angle to pip and died. Just going to wait til I have a broody and go express shpg. No more bator other than to check my own flocks fertility.
hit.gif

I have found that my own eggs hatch
rate is much better than those shipped in. I also hatch eggs from local friends. These are picked up by me or they bring them over. Even the best of packaging can't hold up to the postal delievery team.

I'm sorry you've had such bad luck. I would love to get an incubator but I wory about the sorts of things you described. I just used my broody hen and got 1 chick. It's nice not having to worry about whether or not I am maintaining the right temp. and humidity and so on. I wish I could have spied on the eggs whenever I wanted but the lack or worry was worth the trade off.

gotta love the post office NOTTTTTTTTT man they have messed up more eggs than can be counted i think they should do something about it but they wont and refuse to even acknowledge a problem. but like u said those are the risks. wishing u better luck in the future.

On the other hand, I hear a LOT of broody horror stories. No, the eggs don't have loose aircells, saddle-shaped aircell, scrambled yolks...but they DO get stepped on, rolled out of the nest, eaten, fought over, abandoned, etc.

I had a better hatch percentage than my broody cochin hen this last hatch. And mine were shipped eggs.

I do agree that it's frustrating. I just set shipped eggs 5 days ago. I quickly candled last night and maybe 1/2 have veins. That's a MUCH lower percentage than ususal. I'll wait until day 8 to toss.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom