I got 2 peachicks hatched today to start the hatching season for me

swheat

The Bantam Barn
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
I got 2 chicks today, they came out of Cameo silver pied cock and Cameo silver pied hen. Looks like one is going to be just Cameo, unless there is something I don't know about in their genes, which is quite possible. I hatch in small batches, usually 2 - 4 eggs under bantam hens. I put a couple of day old bantams to help the peachicks start to eat and drink , then remove the bantams after a few days.

Looks like you have a white eyed white cameo ( the white masks the cameo colour and two silver pied parents produce chicks with two copies of the white eyed gene) and a white eyed dark pied cameo (carries two copies of the white eyed gene and two copies of the pied gene). To have a bird that shows pied, you must have one white gene and one pied gene. If you were to breed these offspring together (the white and cameo chicks) you would get all cameo silver pied chicks (assuming one was male and one was female of course!)

Wow ! They are so cute ! :DD
I don't know about Cameos but Arbor probably got it right for you ~
Bantam Hens will incubate any eggs you put in the nest regardless if it's hers or not ? o:
That's quite cool if that's the case !

I went back to look at my records when I purchased the pair and this is what they are supposed to be:

I purchased the hen as a CAMEO SILVER PIED - OUT OF BLACK SHOULDER SILVER PIED SPLIT MALE

Pic of the hen above when she was a year old, she is now nearly ALL white.

The male was purchased as Cameo Blackshoulder Pied white-eyed cock

Also this is the first time I got a brown chick from them.

So, Arbor can you elaborate with the above genetics ?

Found a pic I took last year of both of them. The nearly all white hen is the same bird in the previous post(1st pic, bird in front)

The chick that is Cameo in color should be a Cameo dark pied white-eyed. Does the chick have white flights? The silver pied breeding will give you the same ratio as the pieds. 25% white, 50% silver pied, 25% dark pied white-eyed. The white chicks will carry the white-eyed gene. They will also be Cameo, but the white masks the color.

I don't see any white flights...would they show up as the chick gets older ?
The reason I asked about white flights is that normally dark pied and or white-eyed will hatch out with them. Although from what I've read on here-not all will. Based on the color of the chick and the genetics-it should be a cameo dark pied white-eyed.

Last edited:
I went back to look at my records when I purchased the pair and this is what they are supposed to be:
I purchased the hen as a CAMEO SILVER PIED - OUT OF BLACK SHOULDER SILVER PIED SPLIT MALE

Pic of the hen above when she was a year old, she is now nearly ALL white.
The male was purchased as Cameo Blackshoulder Pied white-eyed cock

Also this is the first time I got a brown chick from them.
So, Arbor can you elaborate with the above genetics ?
Sorry I took a bit. IF the male is indeed Cameo blackshoulder pied white eyed, the male only carries one copy of the white eyed gene and only half of his offspring would inherit said gene. Seeing as he is also blackshoulder, all of his offspring will inherit from him, one copy of that gene as well. If the hen is cameo silver pied out of a blackshoulder silver pied male split cameo, then all offspring will inherit one copy of the white eyed gene. She would also carry one copy of the blackshoulder gene, passing it on to only half of her offspring, making half of the offspring blackshoulder and half of the offspring split to blackshoulder.

You should get any of the following offspring from these birds then:
Cameo blackshoulder silver pied
Cameo blackshoulder pied white eyed
Cameo blackshoulder dark pied white eyed (one copy)
Cameo blackshoulder dark pied white eyed (two copies)
Cameo silver pied split blackshoulder
Cameo pied white eyed split blackshoulder
Cameo dark pied white eyed (one copy) split blackshoulder
Cameo dark pied white eyed (two copies) split blackshoulder
White cameo white eyed (one copy)
White cameo white eyed (two copies)

Now, it may be difficult to tell the difference of a blackshoulder chick from the white ones, seeing as cameo is a very diluted colour. This may or may not be the case with yours, you'll probably just have to watch it as it grows.
Dark pied birds will have a white throat patch (which you should see later on) and often have white flights (but not always)
When it come to the number of copies of the white pied gene, you wont know on the white birds visually (you'd have to breed them to normal birds not carrying white or white eyed to find out) and the others will show in the number of white eyes in the train (on the males).

Hopefully this helps and hasn't confused anyone. I'm hoping your white bird is actually a cameo blackshoulder silver pied!

Back
Top Bottom