I got a horse, now what? update 1-22-11

Check out this website: http://thesoulofahorse.com/blog/

Horses ARE herd animals - get another for mental health and happiness.

Work on ground manners everyday. I made the mistake with my first horse at age 45 of treating my dear Miss Kitty like a big puppy dog. She was a little green at age 5 and pushed and pulled me around (no respect). Trainer and I worked on ground manners for over a month before getting in the saddle.

Go barefoot.
24 hr turnout with shelter free choice.
Good hay.
1 cup black oiled sunflower seeds twice a day for strong hooves, shiny coats, and prevents sand colic.

Good luck - share pics.

You sound like a caring person who wishes to help this horse and I bet he is grateful. You'll get everything in order for him sooner than he would have where he was--good karma to you!
smile.png

Just because horses are herd animals, doesn't mean they cant survive being alone.
It all depends on the particular horse.
Good luck with your new horse adventures and if the
tongue.gif
people don't get this thread locked, maybe we will see more of your post
wink.png

Last edited:
I think that the OP was being facetious when he asked for "ten words or less." Let's be nice. We can share opinions and be civil. With a bit of thought, even adverse opinions can be put forward politely. We don't have to "sweet" to be constuctive, and we surely don't need to be nasty.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP you have my email and other contact info and it sounds like others have offered as well.

To the people that are bashing let me ask you this. Would you rather see someone like the OP TRYING to care for a horse and give it a better chance at life. Making a couple misatkae along they way or the horse be left int the pasture to die.

You know living in the country I see lots of HORRIBLE stuff with animals as well as people dumping them off. At least he is trying to be part of the soultion and not the problem.

What might work for one person does not always work for others. Been there done that.

OP we ALL have made mistakes with our animals from little to MAJOR. It happens you learn form your mistakes and move on.

Best of luck.
K

Really the best advice would be to consult experts in your area....

Consult a vet on his weight, and to help you determine exactly what his feed requirements are going to be, and a schedule for changing his feed. I bought an underweight horse who was a beautiful, calm, docile, friendly horse... then over a year he gained the weight back and turned into a typical flighty thoroughbred, who at 17 hands could be intimidating (and he was a well trained 14 years old, not 4). He was my 'heart horse' and I loved him more than any horse I've ever had

Most vets also do teeth floating, although we have an equine dentist that comes to do ours.

Have a farrier out to look at his feet, keep them cleaned out with a hoof pick as often as possible so he doesn't end up with thrush. If the pasture is muddy, try to get the mud off his legs as often as possible too if mud fever is common in your area.

You've already wormed him, so that's great. You may still want the vet to check fecals, just in case...

Did you do a pre-purchase exam with a vet? Do you know if his legs, feet, etc. are okay? Do you know if he's really 4?

Are there metal supports around the pool? We had a horse at our barn trip into a hay feeder while playing (that was 5 foot posts into the ground) and he impaled himself on the post, he didn't make it (feeders were changed immediately). In the last 7 years we've lost 2 to colic, 2 to old age (one of those was a 42 year old pony), one that impaled himself, and one that crushed a leg by running too fast, slipping and crashing into the side of the barn when he was put out to play. We have 43 horses (a boarding stable), so it's relative I guess... still really sucks to lose one.

My current horse lived alone for 10 years before I bought her, she did just fine... it does depend on the horse, and so far yours seems fine... some horses really like goats or cows too, so you don't necessarily have to have two horses.

It's hard to narrow down advice, especially to 10 words or less, but if you have any specific questions feel free to send a message
smile.png

I use natural horsemanship (similar to what Pat Parelli uses, but his system is just too expensive) and love that... it's great for groundwork and for developing a great bond with your horse. There's lots of video's on Youtube and tons of websites you can look it up on. If you want to try it, I can explain the games to play with your horse
smile.png

Okay, folks, I've (once again) cleaned this thread up...this is your final warning: play nice or this thread will be shut down.

There is lots of good feedback - those of you who gave constructive insight, thank you. To the rest of you, you should feel ashamed.

Remember: the Report button is your friend.

Twentynine, feel free to PM me if you wish. I have spent most of my life with horses. I have experience with a wide variety of breeds. I also have a lot of experience dealing with different weight problems and feeding needs in horses. I have horses that are hard to keep weight on, horses that have a tendency to gain too easily and everything in between. I'm sure that you will research the horse's needs and provide for it. I worry more that it's a young horse. It's more likely that the horse will be inadequate for your needs than the other way around. You have the horse now so that's a moot point. I would suggest that when you eventually get a another horse as a herd mate for him that it be an older and well trained one. The best teacher for a green rider and a green pasture mate is an older experienced horse.

Go to the Library and Get riding lessons on a skilled horse...Get a qualified trainer...I am one and would be glad to help

Back
Top Bottom