I Got a Question???

4H gal

Chirping
6 Years
May 26, 2013
OK my family is wanting to put mulch around our trees in the front yard. My chickens are free range so i guess my question is: Is there a certain kind of mulch I should get?? Or are there poisonous mulch?? I don't know much
idunno.gif
about mulch so if someone could give me some information it would be appreciated!
smile.png

You know, chickens love to scratch out mulch. It's one of their favorite things to do. They'll scratch and throw that much out in a giant mess. If I miss my bet, so be it, but anything and everything that even begins to look like mulch here gets destroyed if the chickens get to it. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
I don't get my chickens till tomorrow but the neighbours chickens that live in the field behind our house used to come in our yard all the time. They would get into the mulch and it would go EVERYWHERE, omg it was a total mess.
barnie.gif

Your chickens won't be popular with the family if they do end up doing mulch - hope you can figure something out!!
fl.gif

Yeah, if you want to keep that mulch in place you'll have to fence around it. Mulch keeps the ground under it cool and moist, the perfect environment for many bugs. Chickens know this and scratch in the mulch to get the bugs. They'll have it scattered over the yard in no time.

No mulch is dangerous to a chicken, that I know of, it just won't stay in place and do it's job. It'll be a huge mess.

OK thank you all for the information. Hopefully my family and I can figure something out.
Thanks again!!
smile.png

Yeah, if you want to keep that mulch in place you'll have to fence around it. Mulch keeps the ground under it cool and moist, the perfect environment for many bugs. Chickens know this and scratch in the mulch to get the bugs. They'll have it scattered over the yard in no time.

No mulch is dangerous to a chicken, that I know of, it just won't stay in place and do it's job. It'll be a huge mess.

You know, chickens love to scratch out mulch. It's one of their favorite things to do. They'll scratch and throw that much out in a giant mess. If I miss my bet, so be it, but anything and everything that even begins to look like mulch here gets destroyed if the chickens get to it. Just sayin'.

Yup and Yup.

Back
Top Bottom