I got a turkey poult today with an eye injury

pkw

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
North Edwards, CA
I was given a turkey poult today (free of charge) and the people didn't know what happened to its eye. It has crusty eyes and they don't appear to be fully open meaning the lens that opens to the eye ball is not fully opening and the eye itself is bulged out. I went ahead and brought it home but it is separate from the other turkey poults. I put a chick in with it to give it some company. Fortunately the chick is smaller than it is. I am hoping it doesn't end up a blind turkey. I am currently applying an antibiotic salve to its eye. Before doing that the eye wouldn't even open so it seems to be helping a little.

I don't know what to do for it aside from that so if you have any suggestions let me know. It is a beautiful blue slate turkey and I want to attempt to help it before putting it down.

I am completely new to turkeys. I just got some blue slates, royal palms and 2 broad breasted whites. I have been lurking on the turkey forum for a while and asking questions of turkey people to learn about them before I got them. So far I am really enjoying my little poults. I went and got them this past friday before my husband changed his mind about allowing me to get turkeys.

I was going to suggest using teramyacin (sp?) - eye antibiotic ointment, but you already are... I'd just keep using the ointment, and keep the eyes as clean as possible. Use a wet cloth (warm of course
wink.png
) to clean the "yuckies" off if need be. Other than that I don't really have any ideas. Is the poult eating and drinking ok so far?

It is a week old and seems to be decent weight. I just got it today and I haven't seen it eat or drink yet. The other eye is good but the injured eye is bulged like the eye itself is swollen. The little chick in with it eats and drinks and the poult sees the chick eating and drinking plus I showed it the feeder and dipped its beak in the water so it knows where everything is.

I didn't want to leave it with the other poults in case they wanted to peck at the eye. What can get the eye swelling down?

Back
Top Bottom