1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Got free nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jtbrown, Jun 18, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I have wanted to get hens for years. I am going to tell short story , I talk way to much, but there is a point. Finally this is the year, we have invested a small fortune on a permeant shed/chicken coop and I have gathered 3 separate orders of chicks totalling 44 chickens. I vaguely remember gathering eggs at my grandmas, but in 1974 the Xenia tornado blew roof off her coop and considering herself lucky that house survived never really got chickens again. In the past 30 years I have known my aunt kept a small flock of chickens but I was a kid, then moved away, married. . . . Never kept up with her chicken habits. Well she knew I got chicks and I have been on Facebook with her, discussed chicks at a recent funeral, etc. Well, unfortunately her coop got raided by foxes, she lost her favorite to a hawk and gave rest of her hens to a neighbor last week. [​IMG]

So, I was sad today when I went to my dad's and picked berries (5:30 a.m. To get them to farmers market) and ran in to my aunt who said she had gotten rid of her hens but still visits them etc. She was asking about the coop, my birds and said, "do you have your nest boxes yet?". I said no we were working on getting wood together to build them from plans on this site. She then asked if I wanted her nest boxes said they were galvanized, 10 nester. I said sure. So, we already had the truck at my dads (2 hours from where we live) and I went to pick up the next boxes. Low and behold, I recognized them from when I was a kid, I said "are those grannies?".[​IMG] Sure enough, they were. They are in great shape. We will still replace the wood landing board in front and change some screws and I will bleach the devil out of them before moving them to our coop. But I almost cried. I think she thought I was nuts, but nothing will make me happier than hanging those next boxes up in my new shed, knowing they came from my grandmas and they were the same boxes I gathered eggs from nearly 36 years ago. My grandma passed in last 5 years but wasn't "with" us for 6-7 years prior to that. A lot of her stuff got scattered when they sold house etc. I don't have anything else of hers, I am thrilled.

Sorry the long post, but I am so excited, I just had to share.[​IMG]

2. babylotzahenz

babylotzahenz Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    lexington
    Awwwe, that is so sweet. I have a few of my grandmother's things and they always remind me of her. You are very lucky this week indeed.

3. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Great story! I'm so happy for you!

4. citybiddies

citybiddies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    Wow, what a heartwarming story! Happy memories each time you go out to collect eggs. [​IMG] Yeah!

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    That is very nice. I bet it will be nice to collect eggs from those nesting boxes again.

6. einhard

einhard Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Awesome! What an incredible story -- may those nesting boxes bring you as much joy as it did your grandma! [​IMG]

7. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Oh, I love your story! Those nest boxes will definitely make your coop feel extra special.

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

What a heart warming story. [​IMG] You brought tears to my eyes. [​IMG] Good luck with your new flock. [​IMG]

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Thanks for sharing my joy. I am so excited to get those babies cleaned and into my coop. I knew you guys would understand!

10. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    I'm a complete mush when it comes to stories like this. Yes, I "get" it as i'm sure most in here do. Those are happy memories and now you can start your own with Grandma's nest boxes in YOUR coop. That's awsome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by