I got my first egg today!!!!!!

Patoot

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
I went home for lunch and decided to look around the yard to see if Hennie was laying someplace other than the coop/nesting box because she seems ready. I no sooner took two steps outside and saw this beautiful egg! It's HUGE! It's bigger than the large eggs I bought from the store. It's perfect too! I was expecting teeny eggs as their first ones. Woo hoo!

Here is the beauty:

65931_egg.jpg

The only problem is she laid it on top of a rubbermaid bin I had put in the garden. I had put a large rubbermaid bin on its side in the flower garden for them to get out of the rain one day. They liked it so I left it there. They sometimes roost on top of it. Well, she must have thought that was a good spot. It's NOT! It could have easily rolled right off and smashed 18inches to its death.
smile.png
How do I encourage her to lay in the nesting boxes? I have a golf ball in there and it's not like the coop is far from the garden. We're talking a matter of seconds to walk over there. From where she laid to the actual coop is 50ft tops.

What do you think about this idea? Put one of the nest boxes in the garden where she laid this egg and then everyday move it a little close to the coop until she gets it. I was worried she was going to do this because they are almost NEVER in the coop during the day. They love being outside sooo much. Even in torrential (and I mean MAJOR downpour) they stayed outside...hence the little bin to keep them drier. Anyway, can you think of a better idea? I don't want the other 3 to get the wrong idea and start following suit once they start laying.

I'm SOOOO excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bree

Nice egg : ) I would move the nesting box closer each day and maybe flip the rubbermaid tote upside down and make a hole in the side for them to go in and out for share/cover so if she does lay on the top agian, less risk of rolling?

What's funny is the nesting boxes ARE rubbermaid bins with a hole cut in it. Very homey looking I think. The one she laid it on top of is HUGE. It's like 3 ft wide and maybe 22 inches tall. It would be one thing if she laid it IN the box. Oh well. I'm still just psyched about the egg. I'll remove the large bin for now and put the nest box there instead and see if that works. If so, I'll just move it closer to the coop each day and cross my fingers.
smile.png

Bree

Wow, that is a beauty! My RIR (20 wks. old) laid her first egg today also! But it was VERY small. I'm sooo happy for you (and me)! Congratulations!

Quote:
Congrats to you too! I'm not sure how old mine is because I got her when she was already a little bigger...the rancher thought she was 3-3.5 months at the time and that was the middle to end of August. ??? All four of mine are RIR too. I hope your next egg is bigger.
smile.png

Bree

Back
Top Bottom