I got my runner babies today!!! *PICS*

I just took a look at the pics again. Group 4 is not actually a group I don't think. It looks like you have one black and the rest are chocolate. My chocolate fooled me for a long time. I thought she was black until I got a black.

They're all precious!
Laurie

You will love them. My runners from them are goregous. I had ordered Runners from another hatchery and was not happy as they really did not stand up at all. They really looked like regular ducks. But not the ones from Holderreads. They are goregous and really fast. Stand up beautifully even as babies.

And I totally understand the taking pictures of Runner ducklings. That is a real challenge.

Yes, I got them from Holderreads! My first hatchery experience, and I couldn't be happier! I also ordered a pair of goslings from Metzer and put 6 on that order as well because I didn't know if I'd be getting the ones from Holderreads because it's so late in the season. But now it looks like I'll be getting them too. June 9th or so, it'll be interesting to compare them.

So everyone agrees with the colors already guessed??
pop.gif

Quote:
Sounds just like me. I also ordered 8 geese from Metzer because I thought I placed two orders to Holderread way to late. I even placed a third order just in case I was to picky with my first two orders. It looks like I will get them all now. Thats 40 ducks and 26 geese all together. I have to get building a duck and goose house quick. On my Exhibition assortment it looks like I got mostly black and chocolate runner. One white. My June order will have Exhibition penciled runners. Was your runners part of a assortment?

Quote:
Sounds just like me. I also ordered 8 geese from Metzer because I thought I placed two orders to Holderread way to late. I even placed a third order just in case I was to picky with my first two orders. It looks like I will get them all now. Thats 40 ducks and 26 geese all together. I have to get building a duck and goose house quick. On my Exhibition assortment it looks like I got mostly black and chocolate runner. One white. My June order will have Exhibition penciled runners. Was your runners part of a assortment?

26 geese??
th.gif

I ordered "Runner Assortment" from both. I am really surprised I didn't get any fawn and white from Holderreads, so I'm kinda hoping I will from Metzers, but I have a crazy feeling I'm gonna get all black or chocolate from them...

Quote:
Almost; I'd guess 2 Whites, 2 Pencilled, 2 Blue, 4 either Black or Chocolate (it's hard to tell what color I'm actually seeing with the flash from the camera), and the last one looks like a Silver to me (Holderreads has sent out quite a few of those this year - chickboss just picked up two Silver Runners yesterday, you can see pictures to compare here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=349578).
smile.png

They're all precious!
love.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
26 geese??
th.gif

I ordered "Runner Assortment" from both. I am really surprised I didn't get any fawn and white from Holderreads, so I'm kinda hoping I will from Metzers, but I have a crazy feeling I'm gonna get all black or chocolate from them...

I would rather order to many than not enough. I am trying for enough to set up breeding pens. Extra males I can always sell. Blacks and choclates are not bad. The two colors can be in the same breeding pen. The blacks will improve the color of the chocolates. If you set the pens up right you can also sex them by color since chocolate is sex linked.​

Quote:
Yes Chocolate is sexlinked. Do you have chocolates? You can read about it in Storeys Guide to Raisings Ducks by Dave Holderread. It will be my first time doing it next year but it sounds like it is the same thing I have been doing with chocolate turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom