I got to see my chicken lay an egg

greenpeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Greenford, Ohio
I went out to check on the girls this afternoon and spotted one of them standing in the nesting box. I looked to see if there was an egg but none to be seen, then all a sudden, plop. She just dropped an egg. I always figured they sat and laid an egg, never would I guess they do it standing up. I need to put more clippings in the nesting box so the eggs don't break.
roll.png

I didnt know that they layed standing up either. I had a couple cracked eggs so we put some foam insulation down. We stapled it around the edges. I sat in my coop one morning and caught my girls in action. Looks kinda stressful doesnt it.

23509_dsc03238.jpg

Oh look, a little pink egg
lol.png

23509_dsc03241.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, neat! I can hardly wait until mine start laying!

I wonder if all chickens lay standing up. I wouldn't have guessed standing up either. Its good to know ahead of time so I can get lots of padding in the boxes.

I have a lovebird that laid a couple eggs this Spring. One of them was on the bottom of the cage and quite smashed, as if she laid it while setting on the top perch. Maybe she did. It was her first egg. Maybe all birds lay standing. Hmmmm.

I've seen my BA lay 4x. It must be what it's like for us to have a baby. I had C-sections. But they gruntand push, just the same. Imagine having a baby every day.
ep.gif

I just started getting eggs last week. I had 1 on Wed. Skipped Thur. and had 1 Fri. & Sat. Yesterday I saw the hen that is laying in the box, so I pulled a chair up and proceeded to watch for quite a while. She'd get up, turn around and look a bit distressed. Then, she started making quite a racket. This went on for almost an hour and I got tired of sitting (short attention span). She finally hopped out and no egg! I wonder if I through off her concentration by watching her. After all this, I let them out to run around- I looked later to see if I had any eggs laid in the garden but didn't see any.
barnie.gif

In fairness, some women give birth relatively easily and quickly, especially after the first 2 or 3.
Also, most eggs are smaller compared to a hen than a full-term infant's head is to a human mother.

To all the ladies on this forum I think you can relate. Look at it this way. Most chickens lay an egg every 24-36 hours. A Human goes through a menstral cycle in a month aka taking mature eggs through our reproductive system and expelling of them. Could you imagine going through that entire monthly process every day of your mature life! Poor girls, they deserve good mommies and daddies taking care of them
love.gif
! Can you imagine the moodswings those poor roosters have to endure
ep.gif
lol! Then everytime you go through all that work someone comes and takes it away! Once you finally go into mommy mode (broody), your humans try to unbroody you and still won't let you keep your eggs! Hard life those chickens have lol. Well other than the greens put into their cage daily and the cool water and food provided to them on a constant basis.

Your post explains a lot.. I've been getting a few eggs that have a little broken bit right on the pointy end. The membrane is intact (but I give those ones to the dog anyway). My girls get over zealous with the next making and scratch all the nesting material out to the sides and lay the eggs direct on the bottom of the box. I guess if they stand up, of course they are gonna break! I've put down some shavings in the hope that they leave that alone (fingers crossed).

Back
Top Bottom