I gott'em, I gott'em, I GOTT'EM!!!! (with pics)

Quote:
Windy, I've never made the cross before. But, I'm looking forward to seeing how they will turn out. I got the idea after talking to greyfields. I had dressed out some BO roos and was very pleased with their massive leg and thigh quarters (my favorite part of the chicken). Though a decent size, the breasts (my wife's favorite part of the chicken) were not as "massive" as were the leg and thighs. I learned from greyfields that the Dark Cornish have massive breasts and do not have the health problems and high mortality rates associated with the Cornish X. So, I'm hoping that when I cross the two I will get large leg and thigh quarters as well as large brests.... without the health problems and high mortality rates. That way, both my wife and I will be plesed!

Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Robert

Yum--thighs are my favorite!

You'll have to let us know how it turns out. You shouldn't have near the health problems you would if you were raising commerical Cornish Xes, either.

I'll have to keep that in mind about BOs. I really do love thighs... it's always a problem to find packages of just chicken thighs around here. When I spot boneless skinless thighs, I always snap them up.

big_smile.png

Windy, I don't know for sure where you live. But, the local Wally-Worlds that have groceries always carry 10 pound bags of leg and thigh quarters. And, they're cheap; usually $5.90 per bag ($.59 per pound). Sometimes they even put them on sale for $.39 per pound. I know it's not all thighs, but for those of us who are dark meat lovers, it's an excellent deal!

Provided that mine and my wife's fixed income continues to afford us internet service, I intend to keep everyone updated on how the Dark Cornish grow. I also intend to keep everyone (at least those interested) up to speed as to how the cross goes.

Quote:
Just a few minutes ago, my wife and I went in to check on the chicks. My wife commented about how cute and sweet they were. I said, "looks like the makings for a good bar-b-que to me!!" Land sakes alive... did I ever get a dirty, dirty look!!!
lol.png
She said that she knew that we were going to eat most of them, but she thought it just plain cruel to discuss it in front of them!!
lol.png

Robert

Back
Top Bottom