I guess I have a rooster now!

chickens can endure so much more than people realize 🤦🏼‍♂️ Espiecialy game fowl… how long have they survived without human help. They all thrive quite well in cold weather, its the heat that affects birds quite worse than cold…

If he is a game then he can fend for himself just fine. In fact a lot of gamefowl owners let there birds (females and stags) free-range. I would talk to the owner games are a pretty penny each. So don't just take him thinking you are doing the right thing.

Back to the topic at hand. The main thing I can think of is not to feed him layer pellets.
I did talk to them, we asked if they wanted him
He's handsome, and as mentioned, quarantining him is a wasted effort. If you can look him over, at night when he's roosting, look for mites or lice, so you can treat everyone if any are found. He's going to be very unlikely to accept any other roosters, which is fine as long as you only want the one.
He's landed in clover! Feed everyone an all-flock type feed, with separate oyster shell, and appreciate him as a good flock addition.
Mary
Has this neighbor claimed to own him? If yes, that's potentially a problem. Hard to defend ownership if the bird has no food or shelter offered though.
No, the neighbor did not claim to own him. The owner of the land died and his kids moved in. We asked them if they would like us to bring him back, since he had taken to our coop, and they declined.

Gamefowl dont require food or shelter. They will forage for themselves as well as seek shelter.. normaly at the minimum of 10 ft off the ground
Of course I have to keep my game cocks separate from each other and all my other roosters. I put my game hens in my community coop with the rest of my flocks during the summer. They all return to the coop in the evening. After being turned out to forage for a few hours. They also frequent the feeders just as often as my backyard breeds do. Yes they can thrive, living a feral lifestyle. Like most living things. They choose the easier lifestyle, when it is offered.

Back
Top Bottom