I guess she just isn't a broody duck.

newchickmom09

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
ARIZONA
Well as all of you know my female Cocoa started to lay a few months ago. We had a problem with our dogs loving the eggs so she started laying everywhere. We wanted her to sit on some eggs since we want ducklings. Since she was laying everywhere I started to collect her eggs. I collected 10 and made her a nice nest in there dog kennel. I fenced it off so the dogs couldn't get in there and everything. She took NO interest in that idea. So we ate those eggs.
tongue.png
Then she started laying under a hybiscus bush that I have. She dug a nice little nest and started laying there. I put a piece of 2x4 welded wire fencing around the hybiscus so she could fit in there but the dogs couldn't. That is her favorite spot now. I thought well that is great now she will lay her clutch then sit on them.
hmm.png
Well, she lays everyday for 6 days then takes a day off. She is a laying machine.
big_smile.png
I left the nest alone for two weeks and she had 13 eggs in the nest and still wasn't doing anything with them. She just lays them then leaves. So I took about 7 that were at the bottom of the pile. She just continues to lay and lay and never sit. If I wouldn't have touched any of the eggs there would be over 30 eggs in that pile from when she found this great spot till now. My hubby thought maybe she wants a huge pile of eggs so I quit picking them up. I went out there yesterday to get an egg since an egg sandwich sounded so good and took one from the bottom of the pile very carefully. I did the water test and it sank and it still smelt and tasted great so the eggs are still good.

After all of this can I assume that she just isn't a broody duck just an egg machine. Or am I still jumping the gun here?
idunno.gif

Last edited:

newchickmom09

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
ARIZONA
I don't know but when I asked here on BYC I think most said a swedish mix
Here is a pic of her
100_2388.jpg

100_2381.jpg

She is in the back
100_2444.jpg

Here is a pic of her egg she lays next to a white egg
100_2487.jpg

ETA: I wish I knew what she was then all of this would be easy.
roll.png

Last edited:

rainplace

Interstellar Duck Academy
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Northwestern Washington
Though swedish ducks go broody more than a lot of other domestic breeds, it's not a guarantee.

It's still early in the season. I'd keep taking the bottom eggs and see what happens. Better yet, mark all the eggs with a pencil so you know which ones were laid when and you can always get the oldest. It's possible that she moves them around in the nest too.

newchickmom09

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
ARIZONA
Quote:
I should be marking them. Didn't think of that.
th.gif
I guess I will start marking them and just wait and see.

Last edited:

Top Bottom