I H-A-T-E mud more than anyone!!!

maf2008

Songster
12 Years
Feb 19, 2009
In South Central Texas..... its rain without end... I am thinking of building an ARC before we all perish in the floods. Seriously, the MUD cant be stopped. As soon as it stops (if it ever stops) I am hiring a dumptruck load of sand/gravel mix... to put in the coop
ep.gif

(its too wet now driver cant even get over the creek bridge unless it stops raining for 2 weeks the ground is staturated.... uuggghh)

The hens have a covered area (3 of them in fact.... but the dummies stand in the rain and cold and look misrable. They have heat lamps at night too.

Ohhhhh I HATE mud!
he.gif

I'll trade you 10" of snow that keeps turning in to 10" of slush and then 6" of ice. The county didn't budget enough money to buy salt this early in the year or to pay the snow plow drivers to be out before 8am and after 5pm so every drove to work in 10" of snow then everyone drove home in the slush and then they drove to work on the ice this morning which is turning back in to slush that will turn to ice this evening again. I'll take mud.
roll.png
Mud doesn't require chipping off the door for an hour to open the coop.

Last edited:
OK OK.... you win... snow and ice can be worse... but I still hate mud!
barnie.gif

Quote:

when i had floods at my house,the ground couldn't take anymore water and there was a layer of water just sitting on top of the grass. When you walked down to the coop you would make big holes of mud and it got everywhere,it took about a month for the mud to try up as we kept walking over it. I never want to see that much mud ever again!!

barnie.gif
I'm with you fellow Texan, for years we have been begging for rain. And it has just not let up this year.
It is just awful, and I have that wonderful black dirt that sticks to everything.
And the same here, the chickens just all stand around in the puddle getting wetter instead of going to shelter.

Quote:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've never lived in cold like that so I'm asking questions out of ignorance. Is it so cold that pouring boiling water on the ice won't melt it faster? It's too cold for a blow dryer to help, isn't it? Can you use a blowtorch?

I'm sending "make those roads safe" prayers your way, Arkane.

Boiling water will help but you have to have a lot of it. Plus... after about 10 minutes everything will be frozen again including the door... instead now you will have a ice skating rink in front of your door.

Mud sucks.... don't get me wrong... but Iced over waters and snow is even worse.

I like spring and fall when it's dry... but if it's raining it's miserable. It's December and the weather here in Ohio got in the 40's today... slushy muddy mess, I feel your pain.

i hate the mud. I didn't take in concideration when i pick out the place for the coop, about the pool overflowing(we are/were in a drought) what a bloody mess.

If you want to boil water every time you go to the coop all winter long. The door will refreeze every time and you'll be adding layers of ice to it. Plus in the middle of winter it gets cold enough here that I always try to convince people to stand still while I dump water at their feet so their shoes freeze to the concrete. If I spill water in the stable while filling the heated buckets for the horses some of it will freeze before it finishes flattening on the concrete. Then there are little beads of ice across the floor. Whatever does flatten is in the exact splash pattern of how it hit. Which is amusing until you have to run to get the bucket of ice melt before the horses get there.

Back
Top Bottom