I had 15 chickens. Now I have none.

So sorry for your losses :hugs

Loosing chickens and other birds is very sad, especially when they mean a lot to all of the family.

Mistakes happen but we learn from them and improve in the future.

When you're upset it can be easy to turn it into 'what if' and 'we should have' situations but what's happened has happened. Inspect your coop and see if you can see how the predator got in, also what predator it was. Have a proper chat with your husband about rebuilding it securely and how it can be improved. I'm sure he'd rather ensure you have a safer coop next time rather than continually loosing chickens and having to replace them.

Whilst it's sad what happened and your 2 year old was attatched to them, I'd take this as an opportunity to show that things we love pass on. It's an important lesson to learn, especially when keeping poultry but it can help them accept that they've gone and you have to move on.

I think once some new chickens come along, your child will undoubtedly love them just as much! Kids are surprisingly hardy with this kind of thing, more than people give them credit for.

Good luck for the future!

Don't beat yourselves up about it, it's sad but many of us can relate to this situation.

Back
Top Bottom