I had a bad day yesterday

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, May 20, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    One of my girls went egg bound awhile back & never really recovered. She got over the first egg that was stuck inside her & I saw her lay one more egg & that was it. Well, she started acting sluggish & started loosing weight so I took her to the vet. I had taken her to the vet the first time as well. Anyway, I bring her in the vets clinic he looks at her & says she has a broken egg inside her & she's running fever. He suggested that I should put her down. I didn't want to but I let him do it. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing. I never thought I'd miss a chicken but I do.

2. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You did what was best for her, even if it was tough on you.
    Poor girl - if she survived at all - would have had a long, hard fight.

Wow - I'm surprised you have a vet that will treat chickens, my large & small animal vets both just rolled their eyes...

And of course you miss your hen.
    Amazing how much personality they can pack into 5# of feathers.
    {hugs}

3. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG] Maybe we always feel like we could have done something more when you truly did all you could...

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Sorry 'bout your little hen. And I agree - you're so lucky to have a vet that will takes chickens as patients...

5. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Hey thanks!!!

7. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I'm sorry, I'd be very upset too! You did what was best for her.

[​IMG]

8. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

You are her hero. You gave her a shot at living a normal life when you treated her the first time, and made the tough (but kindest) decision when it became apparent that a normal, comfortable life was not going to be possible. You saved her from suffering and struggling and probably from a slow and painful spiral to the same end. You done good...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by