I had no idea chicks could be this much fun!

woodfired

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
Blairsville, GA
This is my first time raising/owning chicks. I have 5 Barred Rock, 4 Gold Brabanter's, 2 RIR's, and 2 Golden Laced Wyandotte's--so far. My husband built me a nice chicken tractor and we also fenced in a large area for them to run. Most are 3 1/2 weeks today and spent time in the chicken tractor this afternoon for the first time. It was 85 out here in North Carolina, so I figured it would be safe for the afternoon. I'm excited about having fresh organic eggs as we use them often in our Thai dishes. My two year-old little girl has enjoyed seeing the chicks grow and digging for worms to give to them as treats. I am thankful to BackYard Chickens for hosting this forum as it has answered many questions for us! Thanks in advance to all that have shared their experiences and knowledge.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have a chocolate lab and have been wondering how she will do with the chickens. She has been very good with my daughter since she was a baby--very mothering I've let my lab "Summer" look in on the chicks throughout the day and there hasn't been any issues--yet. The chicks don't seem to mind too much, but have pecked at her nose a few times.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have a chocolate lab and have been wondering how she will do with the chickens. She has been very good with my daughter since she was a baby--very mothering I've let my lab "Summer" look in on the chicks throughout the day and there hasn't been any issues--yet. The chicks don't seem to mind too much, but have pecked at her nose a few times.

My lab is the best with my chickens out of all my dogs:

I'm new too! And had no clue how fun these birds could be. I got them so my kids could learn some responsibility, but now there family. started with 5 up to 20! Have fun, this place really helps.

Back
Top Bottom