I had to cull my first bird yesterday

HarleyBarley

Chirping
Nov 24, 2019
North Texas
We were re-fencing our run yesterday, replacing old rotted wooden pickets with some welded wire material. Unbeknownst to us, one of my birds got herself stuck in a pallet and when we found her she had a very deep gash on her head from what we are assuming was a nail or screw from the pickets we were tossing, we found her after about 5 hours. I freed her and of course she took off running to be with her flock, who met her with tons of pecking and trying to get rid of her. I was able to catch her again to examine the wound and saw it was down to the skull, large and deep, and was still actively bleeding after 5 hours. I also believe the gash on her head was made worse by the birds pecking her for 5 hours while she was stuck. I made the decision to cull her. I felt fine about it yesterday but today I'm wondering if there was more I could have done for her.

We were re-fencing our run yesterday, replacing old rotted wooden pickets with some welded wire material. Unbeknownst to us, one of my birds got herself stuck in a pallet and when we found her she had a very deep gash on her head from what we are assuming was a nail or screw from the pickets we were tossing, we found her after about 5 hours. I freed her and of course she took off running to be with her flock, who met her with tons of pecking and trying to get rid of her. I was able to catch her again to examine the wound and saw it was down to the skull, large and deep, and was still actively bleeding after 5 hours. I also believe the gash on her head was made worse by the birds pecking her for 5 hours while she was stuck. I made the decision to cull her. I felt fine about it yesterday but today I'm wondering if there was more I could have done for her.

Chickens heal really fast. I usually isolate and treat wounded birds with antiseptic and feed them chicken favourites. That being said I don't think you should worry so much about a chicken. Chickens are cheap and easy to multiply livestock. I wouldn't thin myself about a chicken. Don't do this to yourself.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Taking care of wounded chickens takes time.

However, I've seen chickens survive being scalped. Chickens are incredibly resilient. It's likely with TLC she would have pulled through. I am saying this for future reference. I am not saying this for you to feel guilty. You don't need to feel guilty. Culling is a common approach to chicken keeping.

Back
Top Bottom