I had to cull my first chicken

gkeniston

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
I had an EE with a gimpy leg. Something went wrong during incubation I guess. Anyway, at first the rest of my flock didnt seem to care, but when I started letting the girls out as the snow was melting they really amped up there cruelty. I had to separate her twice to heal, and the thrid time they almost removed a leg. Poor thing couldnt stand up anymore. I decided it was in her and the flocks best interest to cull her. I didnt think it would bother me, as I am an avid hunter and what not, but I have a nasty feeling about having to cull a poor defenseless chicken like that. Did I do the right thing or was I too quick to react?

I would say it is the right thing to do. I usually cull if there's any sort of issues, as honestly, in the wild and natural selection, or even just in its own environment, it would have died at some point too soon anyway, so best you put it out of its misery.
smile.png

I have only had to do this once so far and it is really hard to do. I think you did the right thing. Sorry you had to go through this.
hugs.gif

It was the kindest thing for your chicken. You did the right thing. I hunt, too, but hate to put down anything I've raised. I think because it's different when you put time and effort into raising an animal. have an investment in time.

I agree..Best thing..We had to cull a rooster..we cannot have them here, and we thought he was a she...Nope...I placed an ad on cl but no one wanted him...that stunk..But, he made good soup!

Yes, you did the right thing... it's important to factor in quality of life for animal, not just CAN I keep it alive, but SHOULD I and she would have had a painful, lonely, scary life if the cycle was set so that they would constantly injure and re-injure her. It's hard, but I think you made the right decision.

hugs.gif
It is very hard, I had to cull a hen last summer because she had an infection in her foot (was not bumble foot) it spread up her leg. I made the choice since she had so much problems walking it was better for her. I cried and felt bad but I made the right choice. And so did you.

Back
Top Bottom